Catogory D damage HELP!!!

lee

Im thinking of buying a car what as been in a bump and its classed as Catogory D

Its a 04reg clio 182 sport, its going cheap so im thinking of selling it on

Just woundering if anyone can tell me how bad this really is and what sort of value it takes off a car?????

I would not just say "Don't buy it".

Cat C & Ds is where you could end up paying less for something thats quality. There is only 1 way to find out what the car needed and thats ask the seller, then find out how it was fixed.

Generally CatC & D cars are brought back onto the road by the enthusias who can fix the car for the fraction of the cost of insurance jobs.

Once a car gets to the low thousands its fairly easy for damage to occur that via insurance repairs are uneconomical. Perfect example was my old 206Gti - just before selling it someone dinged the front wing. Got 2 proper quotes for it both between £600-£700. I fixed it for £189 + 2 hours of my time and the job is as good as any isurance job. Scale that up a few times and you have an insurance job thats quoted at 3/4K and it could be fixed for 1K. Thats potentially a bit saving.

Obviously I would not pay full price for the car but as long as its been repaired properly and that you are getting a discount

Guest prescience

With respect, the relative costs would indicate a fairly major repair and one would need to see high competence demonstrated in any repair (ie a reputable bodyshop etc etc)

My first instinct would be, like lomoto's, to run a mile unless you personally have the necessary competence to make an informed judgement

Yes sorry didnt have time to formulated a reasoned response earlier,

Cat D means insurance co. deceided not to repair on economic grounds, generally means not too bad a write off, however most dealers will not retail such a car and more importantly most insurance co, will not insure a car on the "hit list"

From your point of view buying it to make a quick buck will probably be a waste of time as most private buyers are clued up to HPI the vechicle before buying and mention of Insurance Cat D will send even the most ardent customers scurring away :thumbs: besides which most Cat d vehicles end up with a cut corner repair to earn the seller a quick buck :blush:

Yes sorry didnt have time to formulated a reasoned response earlier,

Cat D means insurance co. deceided not to repair on economic grounds, generally means not too bad a write off, however most dealers will not retail such a car and more importantly most insurance co, will not insure a car on the "hit list"

From your point of view buying it to make a quick buck will probably be a waste of time as most private buyers are clued up to HPI the vechicle before buying and mention of Insurance Cat D will send even the most ardent customers scurring away :thumbs: besides which most Cat d vehicles end up with a cut corner repair to earn the seller a quick buck :blush:

thanks alot for all your info

take alook your self and see what you think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1

I would contact him and ask if he has receipts for all the renault parts that were replaced and any bills for the repairs.

If thats all good I would say invest in a full car check. might cost a £150 but it will a) put your mind at rest and b)if its been done badly it will be spotted. ( if you don't have the car knowledge jacks etc to have a good scan round. Make the report a condition of sale

If it goes for that sort of money it could be a bargin - a lot of car for your money but remember that you will equally get less when you sell it.

I would contact him and ask if he has receipts for all the renault parts that were replaced and any bills for the repairs.

If thats all good I would say invest in a full car check. might cost a £150 but it will a) put your mind at rest and b)if its been done badly it will be spotted. ( if you don't have the car knowledge jacks etc to have a good scan round. Make the report a condition of sale

If it goes for that sort of money it could be a bargin - a lot of car for your money but remember that you will equally get less when you sell it.

ye and it may go up loads tomorrow anyway,

thanks for your advice were can i get a proper check from!!

ill let you know the out come

Look Lee ,

whatever it makes on Ebay is probably the market value , what makes you think you can get more for it ?? if it were that easy we'd all be millionaires.. look what it makes on Ebay then try to buy similar., a grand cheaper ! thats a bargain :thumbs:

Look Lee ,

whatever it makes on Ebay is probably the market value , what makes you think you can get more for it ?? if it were that easy we'd all be millionaires.. look what it makes on Ebay then try to buy similar., a grand cheaper ! thats a bargain :thumbs:

id like to keep it abit a few months or somthing have a laugh in it,

then i think id easy get 4k back for it :teeth:

Look Lee ,

id like to keep it abit a few months or somthing have a laugh in it,

then i think id easy get 4k back for it :teeth:

Oh well :blush: let us know how you go on :thumbs: