Airshow photos

JuZ

One thing Ive always wondered, is how on earth do pilots practice stuff like that??!?

Especially like the close formation flying in the first photo.. One twitch and could all go horribly wrong. Just how do they practice that for the first time?

Very impressive stuff.

awesome shots :)

What kind of kit were you using for those..?

The MiG was hugely impressive, pretty much all of the aircraft were. i felt sorry for the Super Hornet pilot going up straight after the MiG - what an act to follow.

The MiG pilots landing was superb, he made it look so casual :yahoo:

Got some good shots of the B52 and B1B tho :D

One thing Ive always wondered, is how on earth do pilots practice stuff like that??!?

Especially like the close formation flying in the first photo.. One twitch and could all go horribly wrong. Just how do they practice that for the first time?

Very impressive stuff.

In terms of the Reds, they have a rotating lineup, meaning that for every season, there's only 3 new guys, which are 'sheltered' by the rest of the team. The new guys usually occupy the slots closest to Red One.

They practice daily, and I mean daily! They video everything from a central datum point on the ground, then, during the debrief they'll work through the set, commenting on positioning etc. Basically they start out close, and then just work closer!

Each pilot in the group has a reference point on Red One, a seam, or a fastener or a stone chip etc. they use that point, viewed from their cockpit, to assume and maintain their position during formation. This can be pretty difficult when doing a long roll for example, as the outer pair are moving quicker than the inner guys :wacko: One of the Hawk's few modifications is an improved throttle response.

One twitch and could all go horribly wrong

...and it does sometimes. A few years ago the Reds did a display in a harbour area. (can't remember where) They recce'd the area and planned the display down to extreme detail. Unfortunately on display day, some bod had parked his yacht in the harbour with a sizeable mast - you can guess what happend..! :scare:

I use a Canon EOS 350D with a Canon 100-400L

They were all taken in TV mode (shutter priority) All the jet shots are between 1/800th and 1/1200 second exposures at ISO200

This one was much slower to get the blur on the rotors

7.jpg

1/30th second exposure, handheld too B)

I use a Canon EOS 350D with a Canon 100-400L

They were all taken in TV mode (shutter priority) All the jet shots are between 1/800th and 1/1200 second exposures at ISO200

This one was much slower to get the blur on the rotors

1/30th second exposure, handheld too B)

I keep saying I'm going to get a decent digital camera, as really like photography, keen to start doing some....

Is the Canon EOS 350D a decent purchase then? Would you recommend it?