Stone Chip

Jammy007

I've got a very small stone chip on the roof of the my zed (Azure Blue Colour B17). This chip has ever so slightly started to rust. The stone chip is that small that I'm not worried about that but I am worried about the rust.

I've been to the local bodyshops and they all say either touch it up yourself or we can spray the whole roof. Now as the spot is about the size of a match head, a full respray is a bit of an overkill.

I was hoping they'd tell me that they could scrape it back to bare metal using a very fine tool then use a very minute touch up.

What would you all suggest as I don't really fancy just painting over the rust as all I would be doing is hiding the problem.

I've been given a website called paints4u.com which do have a B17 for the Nissan but I noticed that the colour sample they show on the website for Azure Blue B17 looks almost navy but the colour says its "electric blue". Has anyone ordered from these before?

They also do two different types of touch up. One is just a 100ml pot of touch up and a 30ml pot of G3 compound.

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=5260&Mainselection=4

They say the G3 compound is for blending in the new and old paintwork, i'm assuming this is just a very fine cutting compound similar to t-cut or scratch-x?

The touch up is also mixed with laquer (if a laquer isn't ordered seperately). Is this the best way, or is it better having two seperate pots.

The second pack they do is a 30ml touch up pot & 30ml clear laquer pot.

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=6930&Mainselection=4

Which is the best one to consider purchasing? My other option is to get a Nissan touch up kit for £5.99 from holdcroft which when I've looked at the picture says "touch up set with rust eraser"..... does this mean its supposed to painted on top of the rust?

One last question, should I be using a primer if I scrape back to metal?

Sorry for all the questions but need to get this sorted asap

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

I've read about the paints4u website before on detailing world and they have good comments about it. Was looking at getting something along the same lines of the kit above for the chips on my front bumper, just to clean it up a bit.

Would be very interested in your experience if you decide to go down that line for your roof.

I've read about the paints4u website before on detailing world and they have good comments about it. Was looking at getting something along the same lines of the kit above for the chips on my front bumper, just to clean it up a bit.

Would be very interested in your experience if you decide to go down that line for your roof.

I wouldn't use Langka on the plastic bumper as you can see where you have rubbed. Only works on metal parts.

http://www.paints4u.com/pdffiles/smguide.pdf

http://www.paints4u.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=6912&Mainselection=4

Is this a similar thing to the Langka you mentioned previously M13KYF?

Don't have a local chipsaway (rang them earlier) but roughly how much do they charge for something like this? Or would they want to just touch up over the rust?

And I'm assuming that it doesn't need primer on before the basecoat?

If using Langka, then I've read its better getting a paint thats pre-mixed with laquer so there isn't another coat to go on once you've got it smooth?

• 5 months later...

I too have an azure blue zed and rang my local chipsaway rep who advised that the repairs he carries out are less than 50% effective!!! Not sure if he was just too busy to take on more work but when i looked on chips away website it has loads of recommendations. So do i go with them, try and do it myself or get it done by a bodyshop? ;)

I have used chipsaway a couple of times now and been impressed both times, it is a franchise though so you are reliant on getting a good technician. They have their limitations, in that it has to be an area they can blend into, a crease or shutline for example. They would not be able to match in a bonnet or roof scratch for example. When they are doing a localized body paint repair they normally do any stone chips you ask them to FOC as they have the paint mixed already and all they do is a dribble paint into the chip as we would (although making a better job than most of us). ie not 100% more like 80%.

I am trying the Langka with reasonable success, the biggest problem being the paint hasn't set enough even leaving it the max 24hours as in the instructions, probably due to the cold weather and so some lifting up the paint out of the chip rather than leaving in flat. It has worked surprisingly well on old chips I patched up months ago where the Langka has flattened the blob and over spill left from the touch up paint, I am still a bit nervous of damaging the surrounding lacquer coat as you have to work on these for a lot longer although hasn't seemed to yet.

I have been using a touch up set from Nissan (Azure B17) that the previous owner had purchased.

I don't believe it will ever be 100% but it is many many times better than leaving as is. I'll try a couple of pics and see if it shows the repair clear enough to be worth posting.

For the one chip I had that was deep enough to rust (I am guessing that the body is galvanized, anyhow only one has rusted on me) I used a Ku-rust touch up pen from a motor factor which stabilizes the rust and seemed to work ok for me.