bernmc

ESP switch:  

20 members have voted

1. 1. ESP switch:

• I always leave it on
    • I virtually always switch it off
    • I only switch off on the track
    • WTF is ESP !!!!!????

I've only had the Z out in anger a few times now, but I've already found that cussed ESP light flashing it's big brother interference :rant: .

It may have something to do with my driving style - I'm a big fan of the 4WD rally derivatives which realy respond to being taken by the scruff of the neck and hurled around, so I may have to be a bit more gentle with the Z.

However, considering I've got the 19inch NISMO alloys with 275 rubber on the bag, I've found the ESP cutting power far mor than I'd have expected it to... if it really is sensing impending wheelspin.

My VR4 has traction control too - quite why Mitsubishi thought that something with an intelligent 4WD system and Active Yaw Control also needed TCL, I simply cannot fathom. It's the first thing I switch off when I get in the car (and if I forget to, I nearly always regret it!). In 14 months of owning the VR4, and over 20000 miles on everything including 40 miles/day on very wet and very bumpy country roads, I've yet to have a moment where I thought that TCL would have done anything other than slow me down...

but what about the Z...?

How many of you routinely switch off the ESP? How intrusive do you find it... and more importantly, when you do switch it off, do you need to change your underpants when you get home?

Is the back too frisky for fast road driving without ESP?

I can see I'm going to switch it off pretty soon - it's too frustrating to have to wait to try it on a track, but I'm worried about ending up in a hedge!

I leave it on for 95% of the time but switch it off when I know I don't want it interupting with the gas pedal especially when you having a little blast with another car and you go up into second and it kicks in and the Citreon 2CV takes ya. B)

mmmm. Had a little play with an Alpha 156 GTA today. They're 250bhp/220lb/ft but a bit lighter than the z... Found the :angry: ESP cutting in 1/2 way through every roundabout. He never looked like overtaking (except when he tried to undertake in traffic, the plonka), but I wasn't getting away either. He was better under braking too, which confirms my grumbles about the standard brembo's - must change those pads!

Most of the time I turn it off, but I only drive the car for about seven days a month. Im quite happy to sort the power to the wheels myself, it takes to much of the fun away.. :thumbdown:

On in the wet and ice/snow as its a good safety feature.. :thumbs:

Like said before, I only switch it off if I need to have a good launch from a traffic light. There is also a small track around my parents house where I go to practise powerslides etc, of course it goes off then as well.

With bad weather I don't even think about turning it off. With the standard Potenza's I tried to launch on a wet surface with ESP off. When I changed to 2nd gear, wow... That was a real eye opener. The back of the car went from one side of the road all the way to the other, freaking dangerous! I just managed not to crash it :headhurt:

Only had it 2 weeks, thought the ESP was ok, not too intrusive. Then yesterday at the lights with a Porsche 911 (997), did the perfect launch, just a little wheelspin in 1st, a little in 2nd, the Stig couldnt have done it better, then all of a sudden power loss, but luckily by that time the Porsche was behind and given up. No power, aaahhhhhh! Must remember to turn it off, I think Il only leave it on when its wet or very cold roads.