Damn Stones!!!

narcotix

It just feels like one thing after another at the moment ...

Just got the car sorted at the CS Meeting a few weeks back and had all the dents removed etc ... So the car was looking mint!

Anyway driving to work this morning and I heard a fairly loud bang on the drivers side ... Hoping it was just something I might have drove over I just carried on as normal ...

I just parked up at work and noticed that there were 3 scratches!! :angry:

Hopefully they won't be too noticable once I've had a go at polishing them out ... but things like this really p!ss me off!

Yeah I hope so too ... just had that side painted recently after a scrape in a petrol station (again completely not my fault).

What's the best way to polish it ... in terms of products and method etc?

Theres quite a few products out there..

I use Swissvax cleaner fluid and Swissvax Wax, TBH they are bit pricey but you get what you pay for I suppose. They are the best things for a good shine and the wax gives your paintwork a protective layer...

In terms of polish I just use Auto Glym as it does the job for me... Not sure if any of these will be any good for stone chips though. I had previously used products with 'chip sticks' but found they were a bit crap plus ive used touch up paint but you have to be very very careful with this as you can easily make it look a total bodge job.

Unfortunately you can't beat the results of taking it to a body shop and having it re-sprayed but thats pricey..

:)

Hi, i used to paint cars for a living, 289 Cobra's mainly, unfortunately the only way you can polish a scratch out is if it hasnt gone through your lacquer top coat. If this is the case then forget trying to polish it out.

If its a surface scratch then you can use a product called farecla g3 which is used in combination with water, the more water used the finer the compound becomes untill eventually it leaves a polished looking surface, you then have to polish the area to re-apply protection.

WARNING !!! the scratch would need flatting out over a large area with a 1200 SF wet and dry being ULTRA carefull you didnt cut through to the base coat !!!!

If the scratch has cut deep enough to reach the base coat then its a repsray job to do it propperly. With it being a COB (Clear over Base) its quite easy to blend the base over one panel, especially the size of the panels on a zed lol but the top coat would need to cover a larger/fuller area.

Example.... Stone chip on door, flat back whole door and blend base coat.. top coat of lacquer would need to be spread over the full panel.

Of course this is just a examle, usually the further you blend the harder it is to see a difference in the way the fleck lays in the base.

Sorry mate, hope its not too deep.

Vale.

Thanks for all the help guys ....

I've had a go at polishing out the scratches and on closer inspection its clear that the chips have gone through the paint completely :dry:

on the plus side ... It's not thaaat visible and hasn't left any dents so I should be thankful for that ...

I don't really want to get the whole side painted again especially since I've only just had that side done a few months back ...

I think I'm gonna give the Chips Away guys a call and see what they can do about it ... Will keep you updated.

Thanks for all the help guys ....

I've had a go at polishing out the scratches and on closer inspection its clear that the chips have gone through the paint completely :dry:

on the plus side ... It's not thaaat visible and hasn't left any dents so I should be thankful for that ...

I don't really want to get the whole side painted again especially since I've only just had that side done a few months back ...

I think I'm gonna give the Chips Away guys a call and see what they can do about it ... Will keep you updated.

if they are not that bad id touch up with the kit from nissan,

i did a few on my car this weekend and its really good stuff!! the match is great!!