Safest way to pay on ebay

Jammy007

I'm considering buying a gas fire on ebay for the new house. Its collection only obviously but luckily for me its only in Ulverston which is only about a couple of hours away.

So what are my options to pay for the item. It says on the advert paypal only (or obviously cash on collection) but actually how safe is it. We're talking nearly a grand here so I'm just a little wary.

At least if I collect it then I'll know where the seller lives if anything does go wrong but just wondering what comeback I have with paypal if I get the fire installed and it doesn't work / goes t!ts up!!

Anyone give me some advice please?

I'm considering buying a gas fire on ebay for the new house. Its collection only obviously but luckily for me its only in Ulverston which is only about a couple of hours away.

So what are my options to pay for the item. It says on the advert paypal only (or obviously cash on collection) but actually how safe is it. We're talking nearly a grand here so I'm just a little wary.

At least if I collect it then I'll know where the seller lives if anything does go wrong but just wondering what comeback I have with paypal if I get the fire installed and it doesn't work / goes t!ts up!!

Anyone give me some advice please?

Collect it as im sure paypal only cover for 500pounds and if your paying 1k the guy might as for more because of the fee's. Bank transfer is actually alot safer as is cash on collection.

I will be collecting the fire in person any way but if its cash on collection or bank transfer then I won't be able to claim money back if the fire doesn't work. Hence why I was thinking of paypal as an option. Can submit a claim once I'm home and have had the appliance tested.

Its not like a car that I can have a good look over thats why I'm so cautious. I can check its cosmetically ok but can't see it working and won't know it works until about 2-3 weeks down the line once the chimney has been prepared and all plastering is done.

If all that makes sense? :wacko:

I think the key thing here is to check his feedback score ;) If he has sold many items and has a high feedback, he will want to protect that, so even if things go wrong, he should offer an ammicable solution

PayPal is good for protection, but be prepared that if things go wrong arbitration can take upto 3 months, and as much as 4 months to get your money back

I would be very wary mate... how much cash are you actually saving ? if its minimal I would just pay a bit extra and buy from a shop for peace of mind...

Its worth checking with paypal what cover you get, it wont cost you any money in fees but it will cost the seller.... cash on collection will leave you with a large headache if the guy and fire are dodgy.. :surrender:

Good luck, hope all goes well :D

Cash saving, depending on what price it goes for, is nearly half price!! So decent savings to be had.

Thanks for the tip rich but i'll be getting a corgi registered fitter to install it. Its the only way to get the warranty to kick in. Gas pipes are definately something I don't touch.

At least when you go there to collect you can have a good look at the fire before parting with any cash. If you know a plumber, then that would be a godsend if he could view it with you.

Not much goes wrong with gas fires, it's usually the installation that can cause problems, or a blocked flue/chimney. Just check that any seals are intact and the gas connector fitting is in good order. While you are there talking to the seller, see if he'll offer a guarantee if you find a problem when the fire is installed. If the fire is perfect then he should agree to it. :thumbs: