Confused by Gear and Diff Oils

SteveW

Good evening,

I'm looking to change my gearbox and diff oils pretty soon and looking through the manual it states:

Diff: API GL-5 80W-90

Gearbox: API GL-4 75w-85

Right I've also done some searchig and found it says not to use GL 5 in the box because it will wreck the synchro.

Now thing is I have found an oil I have used before, in my Celica GT4, which says is both GL4 and GL5, the oil in questioon is Millers CRX 75W-90 fully synth. They also do a CRX LS 75W-90 which is for LSD's.

I like Millers because its a local company based in Brighouse so would rather use their products.

Now my question is, can I use the CRX 75W-90 in my gearbox because it is both GL4 and GL5? I've read oilmans post and I am still unsure.....

The plan would be to get the 75W-90 for the box and the LS 75W-90 for the diff.

Just to confirm the diff on a UK GT is an LSD isn't it?

Also what are the capapcities of the box and diff, the US service manual says:

2.9 litres for box and 1.4 for diff is this correct for UK cars?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

I was told by a mechanic that some of the later oils ( fully synthetic) state that they exceed the specification of gl4 and 5. This does not however mean that they are compatible with each other and truth be told if nissan specify a gl4 then this is for a good reason. I was told that it is the specific additive used in gl5 that is the problem and that it will attack the brass syncro rings. :thumbdown::scare:

Personally i would not use any oil that stated gl5 and i know at the time i carried out the oil change there were good gl4 oils available. :thumbs:

Ring Guy at Opie Oils. He recommended an oil to that can be used for both, but I didn't ask why as I probably wouldn't understand the answer anyway. If you choose to get specific oils, they also stock them at a discount to members :thumbs:

Yup thats where mine came from :thumbs: - but they aint cheap, make sure you register with them using our forum