Starting Issues

narcotix

Hey,

Just wanted to run this past you guys incase you had any ideas ...

I've had my Zed for 6 months now and haven't had any issues with it so far ... until this morning ...

First thing this morning I went to start it up and it didn't start in the normal amount of time it usually takes ... I had to keep trying for about 5 minutes before it actually started up fine ... So I took it for a fairly long drive to charge up the battery in case it was weak ...

I then left it parked up for about an hour and tried it again ... same problem ... it still started up after about 5 minutes of trying but this time the Check Engine, ESP Off and Skid lights were all on ... I tried the ECU reset from the guides section and that has cleared the lights but it is still taking a long time to start up ...

Can anyone suggest anything ...

I read on another site that it could be related to the key so I just tried again using the master key and no difference ....

It does eventually start up after cranking for a few minutes ... I just don't want to be left stranded somewhere due to it not starting at all ...

First thing this morning I went to start it up and it didn't start in the normal amount of time it usually takes ... I had to keep trying for about 5 minutes before it actually started up fine ... So I took it for a fairly long drive to charge up the battery in case it was weak ...

I then left it parked up for about an hour and tried it again ... same problem ... it still started up after about 5 minutes of trying but this time the Check Engine, ESP Off and Skid lights were all on ... I tried the ECU reset from the guides section and that has cleared the lights but it is still taking a long time to start up ...

Some of our cars do suffer the "crank position sensor" problem. Is a right pain, with most I've seen it's only periodically and when it does will do it a few times, then not do it again for ages.

If you crank it once, doesn't go, then switch off, flick alarm, then retry but give it a 30 seconds before you retry.

One thing though with the Crank Position Sensor, engine check light, ESP/TCS don't flash on any of the 350's I've seen here when it happens. So your problem might be something completely different.

Get a code reader on it before doing a reset. Good luck. ;)

I am double posting this but only so that it concludes this thread for future readers ...

I have been posting to the the following thread as or problems were identical:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27455

Well .. I haven't had the car wired up to an OBD reader yet but I've just done the ECU Reset procedure and read the code when it flashes up in that morse code type of way ...

It's confirmed that in my case it definitely is the Crank Position Sensor as it flashed up 335 ...

Hopefully once I have that fitted all will be back to normal ....

Thanks very much to all who have provided solutions and ideas etc ... I will update once the smile has been restored to my face .. LoL

Final update from me regarding this issue ...

I got the part fitted by CS yesterday while at the meeting and all is good once again .... In fact the car feels like it's idling a lot better and also feels more responsive while driving ...

I also got all the little dents taken out of the car while at the meet ... so the car is better than ever!