Front pipe?!

danZman

Hello,

Sent my car to the dealers for them to replace a lambda sensor to fix code P0037.

They were unable to remove the sensor because it is seized in the exhaust, and said they were not prepared to try and "heat gun" it out because they might warp the thread the sensor screw's into.

They said I need a new "front pipe" also known as a "down pipe". They quoted me 850 to source the part and 250 to fit it..... unreal.

I'm going to do it myself, but my question is..

What the hell is the front pipe?! I know it goes (from engine): Manifolds, cats, y-pipe, backbox. So I dont understand what they mean by front pipe?!?!

Also does anyone know which side bank 1 sensor 2 is? Is it before or after the cat?

Hello,

Sent my car to the dealers for them to replace a lambda sensor to fix code P0037.

They were unable to remove the sensor because it is seized in the exhaust, and said they were not prepared to try and "heat gun" it out because they might warp the thread the sensor screw's into.

They said I need a new "front pipe" also known as a "down pipe". They quoted me 850 to source the part and 250 to fit it..... unreal.

I'm going to do it myself, but my question is..

What the hell is the front pipe?! I know it goes (from engine): Manifolds, cats, y-pipe, backbox. So I dont understand what they mean by front pipe?!?!

Also does anyone know which side bank 1 sensor 2 is? Is it before or after the cat?

I answered the very same questions in your post in August :lol:

Have you forgotten already :blush:

So, rather than risk damaging the exhaust, they're just gonna replace it?? Why dont they heat it and if it damages it - then replace it :bangin:

Garages don't want to mess with stuff like this. Today's technicians probably don't even know how to light up an oxy/accy gun never mind how to use it. Also there is the health and safety issue trying to heat this up in place.

It is not uncommon to have to heat the surrounding area to remove the rear sensor and yes sometimes the female thread does gets damaged but nothing a tap wont fix.

I usually carry out the heat and remove procedure in place but I have occasionally removed the cat to facilitate sensor removal if problematic.

Worst case scenario is a new cat would be required (front pipe)

No need to go to Nissan and Pay £1000.00 for the cat as I have a few low mileage ones in stock and all good to go. :thumbs:

Another upgrade that you should consider is fitting the o2 sensor spacers which would mean that you would never have the same issues in the future. Again I have these in stock, CNC manufactured from stainless steel here in rural Perthshire. £30.00 a pair. :thumbs:

Alex.

So which part do I actually need then? The pipe with the cat on it?

I know it goes:

Manifold x 2 > Pipe with cat on it (front pipe) x 2 > Y-pipe > backbox.

I know there is 2 sensors before the cat on the manifold (one for each side) and 2 sensors on the front pipe after the cat.

Im guessing im going to need the pipe including cat.

Im guessing im going to need the pipe including cat.

That will be correct if you can not get the sensor out, but as stated before I have low mileage oem cats available at a fraction of dealer prices :thumbs: if you wish to stay stock.

Drop me a pm if you want to go that route.

Cheers,

Alex.