Excellent article/links: Air Filters/Air flow dynamics.

rickya

I think the standard airbox/filter is fine. Improvments can be made with cooling maybe using carbon fibre pipes to reduce heatsoak.

I think the best mod would be some sort of cold air snorkel behind the grill which can channel cold air into the area of the air box. But this should take in new air from an area where air flow would not normally pass upto the air box. I.e maybe position it on drivers side of grill, there would be no point positioning on passenger side where it would simply replace existing airflow going up to the airbox, - not gaining new added air flow.

it's very true the the stock airbox on the Z is good, most people change it for that extra sucking noise really :)

heatsoak: would CF be better than the rubber tube we already have?

I have a K&N Typhoon, which IMO has the best design for the Z if you want to replace the stock airbox, but yeah the filter needs celaning every 10k miles or so, I did it recently and it was really really filthy

Looks good though :teeth:

Guest prescience

Yeah but keep it away from puddles :scare:

As a slight aside, I shall be changing my air filter every 5-6k miles. On previous Z Vortech installations, replacing the filter meant unbolting/connecting the S/C - great design :scare:. Now it is shipped and uses the G (smaller filter) which has its own issues I know being smaller - hence where I started this para. :)

Does the Typhoon sit right down by the grill, if so this would excellent reducing heatsoak but as you say needs regular cleaning but worth the effort.

no it doesn't it has a snorkel going down in front of the grille, but the filter sits in the same position as the stock airbox, albeit encased in a metal "box" snd with a CF lid. Snorkel is not attached to the box either, so hydrolock is not possible

pics here http://www.350z-uk.com/gallery/displayi ... m=3&pos=30

Very interesting. Their comments about the K&N panel filters are borne out by my own experience - I've had my engine oil analysed in the lab at the last two changes, and both times there has been silicate contamination which is usually a result of an air leak in the intake system, or poor filtration. I've been over the intake system carefully, and haven't found anything, so I can only put it down to the K&N. I'm going back to a normal filter, and we'll see what the lab says in 5000 miles...