Renault Clio again!

Jammy007

Girlfriends Clio again guys.......

Not even gonna rant on about it and if we could afford to get rid of it , trust me, we would! Just with buying the new house & possible parts I need for the zed at the moment, everything seems to be mounting up!

The car is a Clio Mark II Phase II (2003) - Car had a service less than 12 months ago and has only done 6000 since then. The car isn't really running lumpy but when it comes to slowing down for junctions etc then it feels like its going to stall.

Changed the leads & coil pack and its only slightly cured the problem.

She's having to keep it on high revs at junctions / road ends or even trying to park to stop it stalling.

Car doesn't struggle on pick up & doesn't sound as if its running on 3 cylinders.

One of the strange things is that there is a noise coming from around the engine, towards the back, which sounds like the sucking of air.

I've read certain things like the TDC (top dead centre) sensor & the Idle Control Valve. Also read that it could be a dirty throttle body.

As I'm not massively clued up on car mechanics can anyone give me their opinion on what they think could be causing this?

without actually looking at the car its bloody hard ot diagnose. you pick up a lot form hearing it run, how it ticks, and the noises it makes.

if you can here a hissing sound there might be a leak in a vacuum hose or sokething, but i would think it unlikely.

just out of interest what kinf od use does it get.

if its only ever used for short journey's the engine doesn have time to warm up and fluids properly moving it can start to gunk up (not the technical term) can be sorted by taking the car on a once weekly sprint taking in some 70mph roads and letting the car clear its self. this might help?

as well as checking the above and put a fuel treatment through it and give it a bit of a thrash and check the fuel filter had this before!

i will ask my mate who used to work for renault and see what he thinks!

coops

fuel treatment sounds good, as well as possible an injector treatment, i ithink redx does one. might be an injector issue at low revs not having enough pressure to push through a possible partial blockage in an injector. must admit i have very little knowledge of renaults as i never owned one. had pugs but that probably doesnt help.

in some ways if your not that familiar with ca rengines it might be worth going to a good independent. you could spend a small fortune trying a multitude of things only to find a mechanic could have diagnosed it for less. you could always get a diagnosis and then fix it yourself.

I'm booking it in at a independant to get it diagnosed rather than mess about with it myself. Just like to have an idea before it goes in incase they try to pull a fast one.

A leak in a vacuum hose isn't as uncommon as you may think and its one of the things all over the renault forums.

Car doesn't get much use to be fair and is only on 30mph roads more than anything. Used in short bursts rather than long runs so yes it probably doesn't get time to even warm up properly.

The problem first occured after a long run on A roads at 60-70mph, about 45 minutes driving.

Cheers for the input guys & coops if you could let me know what your mate thinks then that would be appreciated.

P.S. No offence to the renault forums, but this one knocks spots off it, hence why i've posted this up here rather than in the renault ones!

from what you just said makes me think the injectors. that giving it a good run has dislodged something and spat it into tthe injector which is now partially blocked. although from what you said about the noise then the vac hoese would be the first check.

• 2 weeks later...

All the garages don't seem to be able to give me an answer.

Its been in the garage who have tried HT leads, Coil Pack & a heat sensor and its done absolutely nothing. They then took it to another idependant who has just bought all singing all dancing renault diagnostic equipment which in turn showed absolutely nothing up.

If I take it to renault to diagnose will they just come back with exactly the same story that the second garage came back with, that nothing has shown up on their diagnostic equipment and charge her £63+vat? Or do they have unique testing equipment that WILL show something up?

Somewhere in the conversation between the garage and my gf, they mentioned that its got a pressure leak somewhere and they think that is down to either the inlet manifold being cracked or the gasket. I think the third one they mentioned was a valve being down. Does this sound feasible?

Are there any checks you can do to pin point a vacuum leak?

My Clio ran a bit lumpy for a while. - It was only a coil pack, but when I waas researchign it, it could be lower down than that? - Or just a sensor?

Which coils did you change, as it could still be down to a faulty coil? - Double check them.....

i doubt renault would shed any extra light on it, but they might be worth a try, as they see mor eof them than an independant wand would be arware of any service notices gone out to all dealerships, or possibly any common faults.

sorry i can't be more help

I know its not a clio but i used to have this issue with my Golf GTi MK3. I solved it by taking off the air filter and hose and spraying the intake with Carb cleaner. It seems the issue was a build up of grime of the years....hope that makes sense..

Sunset - The coils aren't seperate on her clio, its just one pack which houses all 4 coils. What do you mean when you say it could be lower down than that?

rtbiscuit - thanks, knew you'd be along shortly. I think it may have to be a visit to the stealers, but worth trying the easy bits myself. Like I said i'm going to pop in at dinner and see if they can shed some light on it.

speedy - yeah know exactly what you're getting at, I'll give this a go aswell, will do no harm

Already signed up to the cliosport forum and although its helpful (after trawling through the posts) no one seems to be able to put their finger on this problem (although there is about 3-4 cars on there at the moment having identical problems to the gf's).

Thanks though :thumbs:

Hi Jammy,

Wife's car is a Clio X-reg 1.4, we had a similar issue recently.

Driving home from work she lost almost all power, managed to limp home though. I drove it to the garage and it was really labouring, like the power wasn't getting to the wheels. Turned out the clutch had gone! The car's over 100k miles...and the coil pack etc needs to be replaced soon too (not running too smoothly).

Anyway, the week or so after the clutch replacement, I'm driving the car and can feel the problem has gone away completely, so I took it back to the garage and asked them to look again - turned out the clutch cable had worn out inside the outer sleeve and meant the clutch wasn't engaging properly. Don't know if it's of any help to you but it wasn't picked up first time by the garage and I assume it's the same clutch cable in all Clios?

Hope you can sort it soon,

-TPO.

from what you just said makes me think the injectors. that giving it a good run has dislodged something and spat it into tthe injector which is now partially blocked. although from what you said about the noise then the vac hoese would be the first check.

Give that man a medal.... knackered injector. Replaced now and running better than ever :thumbs:

Thanks guys, just the standard issue leaky sunroof to fix when I find the time. Thats another crossed off on a very long list that I have at the moment