Oil burning smell.

nrenz123

The last weeke or so there has been a smell of burning oil coming from the car whenever i come to a stop after driving. I've had the plenum off after dropping a washer into the filler about two days after the smell started.

I first noticed the smell after topping the oil up, the oil was definately not overfilled as i was very carefull to add it in stages. There are no obvious leaks, drips or wet patches so im a bit lost. Has anyone else ever had any problems like this?

It is definately an oil smell, so im ruling out clutch/coolant.

I had this on a trackday and discovered that it was coming out the dipstick (Confirmation from ZMANALEX ;) ). One of the seals had broken. I could see traces of oil though so it might not be that but still worth checking.

You losing oil at all?

Just drove 120 miles from work back to wales, whenever i came to a stop there is definately an oil smell, i dont appear to be using any oil but it is still concerning and i get paranoid... not my fault my last car was a fiar coupe!

The oil pressure did drop slightly yesterday but it was scorchio. What is the standard idle speed for UK cars?

My idle is a tad lower than that but she is due a service. The idle is quite rough at times, you can feel the engine rocking.

It is overdue a service so hopefully some ew oil and plugs should improve things.

it is when the AC isn't on. With it on you'll find the tick over far smoother. I leave the AC on for that very reason.