Problem today!!!

martinopy

I'm looking for some advice/hints as i've had a bit of a problem today, i was on a country road and had to overtake a tractor, i dropped it into 4th gear and put the foot down, i was revving quite high but nowhere near the red line, i smelt a burning smell and looked in the rear view mirror to see loads of black smoke coming out the back. I slowed the car right down and the smoke went completely away, i got back to my house about 10mins later and there was quite a bit of oil dripping from below and splattered around the passenger inner wheel arch. I washed the car off and since then there's only been a few spots have dripped off, i'm not sure if these are new drips or are just dripping off from the original leak. I checked the oil level and topped it up as neccessary, i then took the car for a gentle drive and everything seems ok, pressure and temp was ok, no lights or fault codes on dash. I got back and put a bit of cardboard under the car and over the past hour there's been a few spots on it. The car is a 2006 uk model with 23500 miles on it.

Stew had a similar problem on track around 6 weeks ago.

Turned out that oil was passing up the dipstick tube and dripping onto the exhaust.

You may have a similar issue but not necessarily from the dipstick area.

Cheers i think that might be the problem as when i first looked under the bonnet yesterday i noticed the dip stick was sitting up about an inch.