In Car Computer - Finally Finished !!

Reekie

Hi Guys,

Over the last couple of weeks I've been installing a PC in my Zed, I've had plenty of teething problems but it's just about there, all installed and working!!

Really chuffed with how well it has come out, the PC is in the glove box behind the passenger seat and then I've mounted a Lilliput touch screen monitor after talking out the Jap Sat Nav.

The system loads to the "media centre" which has the custom Zed logo in the middle and then the main desktop has the full on screen keyboard and links to the bluetooth, sat nav, music, vids etc...

The face plate took some doing, I couldn't get hold of a standard plate with out the jap buttons so I fibreglassed over the holes, sanded it and sprayed it, i left the circular button in and that's the power switch for the PC and monitor. I'm still not sure about the "350Z" logo on the front, what do you think?

The PC does pretty much what most carputers seem to do, built in sat nav, music, bluetooth etc.... At the moment it is using an FM transmitter, it does the job but I'm deffo going to sort an AUX in when I get the chance.

Another slight problem that will need sorting next time the dash is apart, the mounted monitor isn't as rigid as I'd like, I've seen a few guys have used some sort of putty to mount the monitors, any advice?

Sorry about the quality of the pics but have a look and let me know what you think!! Unfortunately I've only got "after" pics, nothing during the install, I was intending to do a full process start to finish, but then I just got carried away with the install!!

Any questions then feel free to ask!!

Cheers

nice job :):thumbs:

but take the 350z off :yuck:

+1 :blush:

You might like to give Centrafuse a go too. Its a proper commercial car PC front end and its very nice these days. I've been running it for over 3yrs in different guises now and it very rarely crashes. :thumbs:

Ha ha I'm glad you've all sad that to be honest, the more I look at it the more I dis-like the badge.

That will be straight off this weekend, thanks for the advice guys!!

Chris - I'm going to have a look at centrafuse I think, I think there are probably better sat nav options out there than what I'm using.

At least it will be easier to play around with the OS/front end now the computer and screen are actually fitted.

Looks sweeeeeet mate! nice work.

I already have sat nav and dvd and all that in mine so just out of interest the only reason I could think of for something like this in mine would be to download music and movies on the go. Is that possible here? Can you get a wireless aircard or something with internet access and download on the fly? That would be wicked.

As for holding the screen in place you'll find that a load of cable ties linked together and pulled nice and tight does the trick superbly!!! ;)

Also if you ever change your mind and want something more reliable that pc in your car..... :yuck::yuck::yuck: you can always opt for a reliable stable mac :thumbs:

mac4.jpg

mac1.jpg

Or have the best of both worlds and have Windows natively on a Mac mini like me :p:lol: BTW you do realise that the Mac Mini is an intel chipset dont you, you traitor :bangin: