decat: loss of torque myth?

pyn888

I just took my decats off and went back to standard CATS, and honestly i think there is a big difference.

The car feels more willing to pull low down, but a LOT LESS urgent in the high rev range. Luckily im fitting the BERK sports CATS shortly, otherwise id be putting the decats straight back on!

Go for it with decats mate, they make the car pull a lot better high up, and make it sound so much better.

• 1 month later...

Berk CATS now on, and love them. Similar sound to the DeCATS, but with the ability to MOT test anywhere. Swapped them myself, but on a ramp, easily doable with the right tools.

If you have a friendly MOT tester tho, de-cats give a very similar result for a lot less money.

• 1 month later...
recently change from K1 to a K2 and its a bit quiet for my liking but the K1 was a bit loud :D

was thinking of getting resonated decat pipe (ichiba or kinetix) to give it more of a growl but i ve read it can suffer heavily from loss of torque but other like adam from Z1 disagree with this?

i had my ep3 civic decatted and torque actually increased with the better flow

also will the car run lean? with my civic i had to get some sort of engine management when i decatted the car

oh and i am too tight to get a sports cat :D

Do it! I swapped my original cats (all original exhaust) to decat pipes from ebay (89pounds+pp), they have some damping, and I could swear it pulls better in 3-4,5k rpm range, maybe some loss under 2k rpm, but not sure...

The sound is a little louder, a bit more raspy, but otherwise still good for everyday use. But when you step on it...oooooohhh, best spent 89pounds in years!

But my engine check light did come on after 2days, reset it yesterday, so far it is off (code P0420 and P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold ). But I have bought PC dongle for 30€ couple of months ago and it takes 1 minute to reset the light.

Anyone knows, how long does it take for ECU to set itself back to normal? I think a couple of minutes, but could be wrong....

About MOT...I know a guy... :teeth: and i have to do it every 2 years... oh, I have a 04 sunset....

recently change from K1 to a K2 and its a bit quiet for my liking but the K1 was a bit loud :D

was thinking of getting resonated decat pipe (ichiba or kinetix) to give it more of a growl but i ve read it can suffer heavily from loss of torque but other like adam from Z1 disagree with this?

also will the car run lean? with my civic i had to get some sort of engine management when i decatted the car

Do it! I swapped my original cats (all original exhaust) to decat pipes from ebay (89pounds+pp), they have some damping, and I could swear it pulls better in 3-4,5k rpm range, maybe some loss under 2k rpm, but not sure...

The sound is a little louder, a bit more raspy, but otherwise still good for everyday use. But when you step on it...oooooohhh, best spent 89pounds in years!

But my engine check light did come on after 2days, reset it yesterday, so far it is off (code P0420 and P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold ). But I have bought PC dongle for 30€ couple of months ago and it takes 1 minute to reset the light.

Anyone knows, how long does it take for ECU to set itself back to normal? I think a couple of minutes, but could be wrong....

About MOT...I know a guy... :teeth: and i have to do it every 2 years... oh, I have a 04 sunset....

ZMANALEX has some ace non foulers for sale too for anyone throwing a CEL. He has plenty to sell too! :thumbs:

:thumbs: Best PM Alex and the light will hopefully disappear forever!

So you use dodgy MOT facilities? Great news on an open forum!

With regards to your engine lights your ECU will probably be going into a limp mode as the ECU will attempt to "throttle".

To make best use of any intake and exhaust mods your gonna need a reflash of the ECU or a piggyback ECM...