Replacing standard BOSE Head Unit

seanc

Problems, Problems, Problems. I have read just about everything written on this forum about replacing the standard BOSE Head Unit, so thought I was well prepared. Apparently not. I have spliced the standard ISO adapter into the PAC-ROEM device and connected everthing up. The new unit powers up, but no sound. Two potential areas where I may have gone wrong:

1 the AMP trigger (blue/white) line from the PAC-ROEM unit doesn't connect to anything obvious. Any ideas?

2. Should I be connecting up the Pre-AMP outs of the new HU or the normal audio connections in the ISO plug? I have connected to the ISO plug.

Getting quite frustrated having spent several hours on this today, so appreciate any help.

Thanks.

seanc

PS only had my zed 10 days, so still a newbie!

UPDATE:

I have connected the blue/white wire to a 12V out from the head unit. The BOSE amp appears to work, but I only get sound out of the speakers when the stereo is on full volume; at which point, the sound is quite distorted. I am starting to think that I might need a line booster, but I would have expected much higher levels of sound than this without the booster.

Now without any sound at all in the car whilst I ponder the problem.

Any help appreciated.

thanks.

I presume you have the pac roam. If so then you should not need a booster as it takes the speaker level outputs from the head unit and converts it down to the level for the bose amp.

If you are finding it really quiet have you tried adjusting the speaker gains on the ROEM unit?

In terms of wiring. I can't seem to download the wiring diagram so not sure what needs to connect to what.

Also note that you will need to provide your own earth connection as the Nissan loom does not provide one as standard.

Hi, the PAC-ROEM is wired up as instructed. I have tried udjusting the levels but no joy - it will adjust, but the sound is nowhere near the level it should be and it is distorted. I have connected a separate earth line.

I am hitting a brick wall here and will be putting the BOSE unit back in until I can find a solution. The only other thing to mention is that the PAC-ROEM has 18 wires to the H/U and 14 wires to the car's wiring loom. There is no place to connect the extra 4 wires as these are for 2 extra speakers that my H/U does not support.

Any help?

P.S. I will post some pics shortly

Yes it was the NIS2 spec for the Nissan. I did plenty of research including reading the thread you mention. I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with the PAC unit? Do you know any way of testing?

I am reluctant to spend any more money unless I am sure it will work.

Thanks.

No easy way of testing the PAC unit other than trying it in the car.

Have you played around with the fading to make sure all the speakers are connected correctly.

As for spending more money, I think there are plenty on here which have used the ICT loom (with the added benefit of steering wheel controls)

Thanks again. Have taken new HU and wiring out of car now and replaced with BOSE unit, so cannot test fade. However, I never adjusted the fade when the HU was in my previous car, so no reason to suspect. Can you advise the code for the ICT loom or provide a link even though my HU doesn't support steering wheel controls?

Thanks.