Sparks from Battery pos terminal

Argyll

I was undoing the battery clamp when I accidentally dropped the spanner and it made contact between the clamp and the positive terminal. A few sparks flew but after 3-4 seconds I managed to prise it off.

Everything seems okay and the car starts fine. Is there anything else I should be checking?

Just check that it hasn't caused anything to melt around the terminal and go through the various electric switches to check everything is still working. Worst case a fuse might have gone but it's generally fine :)

Ouch, batteries can and will melt spanners if shorted across thier terminals. and shorting a battery can reduce its life and permanently damage it. glad it turned out ok :):thumbs:

I managed to make an excuse to short a battery as a "control" in a test we were doing. not a pretty sight, alot of poisonous gas was in the air that day :scare: and it melted our relay box to nothing :teeth: (the other thing we were shorting was a 2000Farad capacitor block :D )

Accidental shorting from the positive battery terminal is the reason you should ALWAYS remove the negative (chassis) connection FIRST, and replace it LAST when working on a car electrics.

Doing it that way avoids a spanner on the positive battery terminal shorting to chassis.

S.