Fair price from a dealer?

douglasr

I have a March 2005 GT Coupe with 23500 miles and FNSH. My wife has a 30% chance of getting made redundant, so it may be time to sell ( :thumbdown: ).

I was at my local dealer getting a suspension clunk looked at (Could not find anything wrong but agreed its probably the sway bars ends - £260 to replace) and I asked the dealer what it was worth. "£11300 book" he said, "but I'll give you £12000 as I can sell these easily at this age and mileage". Mmm. tempting. WeBuyAnyCar offered £10700 (not surprised) and a Glass's online valuation values it at £13000 private sale in excellent condition (£11050 trade in). I reckon the car is between average and excellent as it has the usual stone chips and a couple of scratches on the back bumper. There is also slight corrosion on the alloys (plus a minor scuff on one). Considering this and the clunk I reckon the offer is reasonable - what do you think ??

Of course it will never be the same price as a private sale but that's a reasonable offer from the garage if you need speed or want to reduce the hassle.

I'm kind of leaning that way. I've had hassle selling quick cars before with no-shows and test pilots. There there is also the issue that the suspension clunk may be the sway bars or worse, suspension control arm(s) - more expensive. The dealer does not appear to be sure and I dont want to spend money chasing a problem on a car I am selling. It is noticable on broken surfaces and if I was buying it I would want it fixed.