Classic Mini

From A to Zed

Feel free to laugh but this is a serious post ;)

For sometime I have considered buying a second car which is pretty basic, easy to modify and a good hoot to drive around tight lanes and the city. Ideally I want to get my hands dirty and build something without compromise or fear of devaluing it – an issue I have with taking the Zed further.

I have considered my old flames (such as a 205 GTI) but that would inevitably become a track car and that is not my objective. Instead, I fancy something a little more classic and I have always fancied a 'proper' mini so my heart is set on it…

Preferably I would like to start from a solid shell with a decent 1275cc or 1380cc lump as I will be sticking with the original engine. No bike engines, no VTEC conversions etc.

Essentially my budget is open as I have not decided on a model, age or spec yet. I'm torn between buying a basic 1000cc (a blank canvas if you like) or possibly spending a few grand on a project that requires finishing. As previously mentioned I intend on this being a long term project as appose to a ‘throw cash at it’ project.

As you can see my planning is very much in its infancy and more reading and thought is required on my part... Have any of you guys owned a classic mini? Can anyone recommend a good forum? There are so many forums and most seem to focus on the small BMW.

Cheers,

Matt

An old school Mini would be a fabulous project Matt. :thumbs:

We do quite a number of events here with the Mini Club, they're great little runners, also very competitive at things like gymkhana's too, if you did fancy deviating from the street on occasion. ;):drive1 There's always the option of supercharging too, if you want to get silly. :)

I love proper minis or 'real' minis as they are known as in my household!

A local bodyshop to me does loads of restos and it's generally minis he does. I did have a chat with him about them as I fancied one, well my other half did but I'd have stolen it! The problem is for a good shell you are paying big money. They are rusty things and as a long term ownership prospect you'll need to be handy with a welder or have plenty cash to buy a rust free example.

As for the rest, there is no car with more mods available! You can tailor it to yourself no probs.

Not sure which forums are any use to be honest.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

To be fair my purchase date is probably a year or so away. I am currently in the process of house hunting and I obviously need the extra space this will afford to take on a project of this nature.

I might go old school for now and buy some mini magazines to get a feel for the scene :)

Cheers,

Matt

Hey maz77,

Spill the beans ;) Any teaser pics, i.e. a rear light cluster so we can have a guess?

Matt.

its quite an easy one matt

rearlightexige.jpg

The white bit in the middle is getting me!!

It's not a fiat coupe, or a corvette...

I think the Ferrari 360 and 355 have a very similar cluster? However, I'm finding hard to put Ferrari and project together!

Ok, my final guess is a Lotus Elise?

Cheers,

Matt

It's not a fiat coupe, or a corvette...

I think the Ferrari 360 and 355 have a very similar cluster? However, I'm finding hard to put Ferrari and project together!

Ok, my final guess is a Lotus Elise?

Cheers,

Matt

ferrari!! I wish. you can hardly call that a project. you just have to fork the pennies out to get one.

mine is a lotus exige s so your not far off :thumbs:

minis are a great project car, if you keep it stock engine there is so much available for them and so cheap to do in comparison to the Zed. and if you get a rusty example replacement panels are dirt cheap.

if you strip it back to the chassis, sand blast and repait, and rebuild from there it should be rot free for ever, as modern paint and rust prevention treatment has come on a long way. also i think alot of the replacement panel s are ally now instead of mild steel (could be wrong) wheel archs were the worst hit area, the chassis was normally fine. door sills were another weak spot.

i love them with the wide arch setup and a big set of mini ultra lite wheels.

i'd be tempted to swap to the clubman nose and then drop something silly in :blush: