Help with fitting sticky DS2500 pad

Chris`I

Chaps,

Fitting new discs and pads all round and having a bit of a mare. Basically, I have done one side easy peasy, pads out, calliper off, disc off, disc on, blah blah, but I'm having a bit of a mare with the drivers side.

Initially one of the pads (the inner one if it matters), would not come out, but the outer side popped out easily. I can wiggle it backwards and forwads (towards and away from the disc) but not move it upwards. So I decided to pop the calliper off first then popped the pad out from the middle. Having done that and fitted the new disc, the outer side pad went in a doddle, but this inner one refuses to go in. Now its not the pads as I've tried every one I have, old and new and none will go in. I've cleaned the caliper and nothing is in the way in terms of dirt. The pads just seem about 1mm too wide. The leading edges that you grease up only just fit and you really have to whack the pad to make it move. I thought if I got it in there it might be ok, but it basically doesnt move anywhere now.

Any ideas on how to solve it? Worst case I reckon I will just have to file/dremel 1mm off the side of the pad backing plate, but thats not a good solution :thumbdown: There seems to be a plate screwed into the caliper and on this side it is noticable thicker than the others and runs down where the leading edge goes. I'll try and get a pic up in a sec.

So comon, how do I fix it?! :blush:

EDIT:

Red bits are sticking, blue bit is the metal piece that is screwed in which looks to be fouling it, or at least making the gap too small :rant:

Untitled.jpg

No shims at all. Didnt think the fronts had them. The pads that came off didnt have them on. Its definately something to do with the sides of the pad backing being too wide, or the gap too small, see pic added above :wacko:

The "blue" plates are only basically pad stops.

If you are using genuine Ferodo DS2500 pads then there should be no fitment issues.

If the pistons are fully back then the issue must be rust or grime.

Perhaps removing the black paint off the top and bottom of the pad backing (red area) might help.

Alex.

Thanks Alex. They are definately original pads as one set (old) was from Phil and new ones are from CS. The old pads were fitted by Nissan which wouldnt supprise me if they wedged them in. I really couldnt see anything stopping them, there just isnt the room (by about 1mm if that). The only thing I can see is that the pad stop is noticeably thicker on the one that wont fit vs the one that does on the other side of the calliper. Can those pad stops move in any way?

I will attack it with brake cleaner tomorrow and post up some pics if I cant get it sorted. I'm hoping theres just more brake dust to be removed :blush:

Thanks Alex. They are definately original pads as one set (old) was from Phil and new ones are from CS. The old pads were fitted by Nissan which wouldnt supprise me if they wedged them in. I really couldnt see anything stopping them, there just isnt the room (by about 1mm if that). The only thing I can see is that the pad stop is noticeably thicker on the one that wont fit vs the one that does on the other side of the calliper. Can those pad stops move in any way?

I will attack it with brake cleaner tomorrow and post up some pics if I cant get it sorted. I'm hoping theres just more brake dust to be removed :blush:

The pad stops are all the same thickness and they will not move if the torque screws are tight.

Must be a build up of stuff on the plates or calliper, give it a good scrape to remove any residue and the pad should fall in. Remember that there is a plate top and bottom for each pad.

Right had another go at it this morning and the pad stops were definately the culprits. The only thing I could see was that some paint had come away at the top of the calliper by the pad stops. What I assume has happened is that were the paint has come away, the metal had corroded and forced the plate out. I managed to get one pad stop off and the other wouldnt budge. So I cleared the crap from behind the pad stop I could get off which freed up just enough room to get the pad in. Its not as loose as I would like, but it certainly doesnt stop it working any more.

Alex, have you heard of or seen this before? Seems very dodgy. I think the calliper should really be refurbed at some point as it will only happen again. What sort of cost would I be looking at to get the calliper refurbed and would you do a swap out service as the car is my daily driver?

Right had another go at it this morning and the pad stops were definately the culprits. The only thing I could see was that some paint had come away at the top of the calliper by the pad stops. What I assume has happened is that were the paint has come away, the metal had corroded and forced the plate out. I managed to get one pad stop off and the other wouldnt budge. So I cleared the crap from behind the pad stop I could get off which freed up just enough room to get the pad in. Its not as loose as I would like, but it certainly doesnt stop it working any more.

Alex, have you heard of or seen this before? Seems very dodgy. I think the calliper should really be refurbed at some point as it will only happen again. What sort of cost would I be looking at to get the calliper refurbed and would you do a swap out service as the car is my daily driver?

Hi mate, sometimes the screws holding in the pad stops are badly corroded and are very difficult to remove. If the screw snaps then the calliper is finished so watch and not break it in.

The calliper will not rust but oxidization of the calliper under the pad stop may cause the plate to rise slightly causing the pad to become a tight fit.

Perhaps a slight tap with a small light hammer would reinstate the plate to its original position.

Buffing off a very light edge from the pad top and bottom area where you are having the issue is common practice within the motortrade.

Refurbing or replacing the calliper is an extreme measure and a cost that is not really required mate.

But if you want an exchange calliper from me then these are available next day, but best replaced in pairs.

I assume we are talking front callipers here............

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Alex.

Yes sorry, should have said that, front calliper. Sounds likes its nothing to worry about, so will leave them as it is. There was enough room for play between the calliper, pad and disc so shouldnt get stuck again, just wasnt as much room as the other one in the pain of pads. Definately was oxidation under the pad stop that caused it, when I got rid of it, it fit so much easier. Dont know how Nissan changed it last time, unless its happened more recently as I couldnt get the old pad out it was that tight! :scare:

Ho hum, live and learn. New disc and pads are working just fine, shame its wet so I cant go for a real play ;)

Thanks for all the help :thumbs: