Kenwood KNA-G520 sat nav - working but not right!!

Bundus

Im almost about to give up on this so hopefully someone can help.

I have the stand alone sat nav unit linked up to my kenwood touch screen and I want to update it. I want to update the software and also add speedcamera alerts.

I have an SD card and I have already downloaded the software update and put it on the SD card. I put it in the unit then turn on the engine which starts up my sat nav and screen. It gets to the page saying loading maps then stays there indefinitely. If I unplug the SD card it boots up as normal then if I put it back in it reboots but freezes on the loading maps screen.

Ive also just paid £19.99 to download the speed camera points of interest. Ive downloaded Garmins POI installer and used it to install the POI on the SD card. Same thing happens as above.

Ive even tried bringing the unit into my house and connecting it directly to the pc using the mini usb cable but this does nothing as I cant power the unit inside the house.

Im about to throw it out the windo so someonel please help me out :bang:

Cheers.

Seriously mate Im very close - It just pi$$es me off the way nothing is ever easy. Its the simplest job in the world and Ive followed the instructions to the letter but yet of course it still wont work.

When you put your SD card in yours and turn the system on what happens mate??

cant remember! havnt done it for ages.... Have you made sure the folder on the sd card is called the right thing for the kenwood to find it?

Seem to just remembber going into the custom locations and then it finding the sd card and importing them! As I say I would have too see it to remember and I havnt got my car at the moment to have a look at!

Thanks H5 ;)

Yeah Im sure Ive done everything right. What Im wondering is if the unit is trying to load the maps off the SD card and thats why its stalling cos there are none on there. I want it to load the maps off the unit and then look to the SD card for the updates. problem is that if I let the unit boot up then insert the SD card afterwards the unit reboots and the same thing happens.

Perhaps if I had the maps on the SD card as well as the updates and speed camera locations it would work!?! Need to steal your maps off you Mark :p

Thanks H5 ;)

Yeah Im sure Ive done everything right. What Im wondering is if the unit is trying to load the maps off the SD card and thats why its stalling cos there are none on there. I want it to load the maps off the unit and then look to the SD card for the updates. problem is that if I let the unit boot up then insert the SD card afterwards the unit reboots and the same thing happens.

Perhaps if I had the maps on the SD card as well as the updates and speed camera locations it would work!?! Need to steal your maps off you Mark :p

I dont have the maps mate, havnt bought them yet! Just do them seperate, get the folder for the custom POI's off http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ put them in the right folder, and then put the card in, boot up. If that dosnt work, go into the satnav menu and then go to custom POI's and then upload from there...

You not coming Sunday or you just being impatient ;)

Yeah thats exactly where I got the POI's from - cost me £19.99 to subscribe then I downloaded the custom POIs and put them on the card. If I boot up with the card in the sat nav just hangs on the loading screen. If I boot up without the SD in then it loads fine but as soon as I put the SD card in it resets itself then hangs at loading again so I cant even go to the POI section on the sat nav and do it from there.

Ill be there Sunday - just impatient and getting frustrated lol!

i have a differnet unit, but it asks to reset the unit with the card in then turn it on.

does your unit have a pin sized hole for resetting. might be worth putting the card in then rest it with the card in.

if you can't do that then i'll just keep quiet :blush:

Right - I bought a 2gb card and it worked first time with no problems. I cant believe it was all down to card size. Thats £15 I'll never get back :lol:

So anyway the firmware is now up to date and I installed the speed camera database as points of interest. Now when Im driving all the speed cameras show up on my map :yahoo: but unfortunately thats all they do. I dont get any warning of the current limit or an alert that a camera is coming up.

Is there something I need to change in my settings. When I paid out for the speed camera alerts upgrade I must admit I was expecting to be "alerted" to the speed cameras and at least told what the current limit is supposed to be.

Cheers for any help guys!

Right - I bought a 2gb card and it worked first time with no problems. I cant believe it was all down to card size. Thats £15 I'll never get back :lol:

So anyway the firmware is now up to date and I installed the speed camera database as points of interest. Now when Im driving all the speed cameras show up on my map :yahoo: but unfortunately thats all they do. I dont get any warning of the current limit or an alert that a camera is coming up.

Is there something I need to change in my settings. When I paid out for the speed camera alerts upgrade I must admit I was expecting to be "alerted" to the speed cameras and at least told what the current limit is supposed to be.

Cheers for any help guys!

There is a setting somewhere where you can turn alerts on or off for uploaded POIs - I've installed the cameras on my unit and they do show me an alert a few hundred yards before the camera by flashing a message across the screen (though no voice notification but then I do have the voice on the SatNav turned off). I'll have a look later and let you know where the setting is.

Right, from the home screen: "Settings", "General" (scroll down one page), "Customizing Proximity Alerts". Turn on "Audio Notification" and "Visual Notification", and select "Speed Alerts Only" under "Continuous Notification". That should do it.

Also, check that under "Settings", "Map" (scroll down two pages), "Zoom Level Detail" (scroll down one page), "Custom POIs" is set to "Auto".

Job done.