SAAB Turbo

Leeroy

I've just bought an interim car to run while we sell the Golf to get the cash together for a Zed - any mechanically sound car for a few hundred quid was the criteria, something quick would be a bonus. Had a look at an MX-5 that turned out really ropey, and ended up with a 1997 SAAB Turbo SE Coupe. Didn't know anything about them but am quite impressed, the handling is, erm, interesting but it's quick enough and sounds sweet. In fact for 'normal' driving I prefer it to the GTi sootchucker we have.

At 23mpg, it's preparing me for Zed fuel consumption too ;)

Ive had a good few over the years - massive, comfortable and bloody fast is 3 win points in my book. Stick them on springs and 17's and they handle surprisingly well as well. Definitely one of my 2nd/3rd car recommendations :thumbs:

Would have preferred the Classic 900 but beggars can't be choosers. Out of interest what were yours docwra? It's so tempting (and cheap) to modify. I hear a steering clamp(!) and ARB is the first port of call. It seems there are cheap and gainful ECU tweaks too. Got.....to.....resist, otherwise the cheap interim car is eating Zed money :D

Loving the black-out dash - and I can say I own a slice of Koenigsegg ;)

My last 4 cars have all been Saab 95 Aeros and I swore I would never change. My last one was just turning 4 and cost £7,200 from a dealer showroom.....

What other make of car can you get a £27k+ car when new, have 250BHP, 0-60 in under 6 seconds and still only group 16 for that kind of money. They drop money like a stone but if your intending keeping them then a great car to buy.

Even though they don't hold their value, I sold mines after I got the Zed, it was a 52 plate, had done just over 150k in miles and sold it for £2,400.

The only two downsides were the complete lack of handling and from a standing start you would just wheel spin for fun if you tried to put the foot down in anything other than absolutely bone dry conditions.

Downside of front wheel drive.