Exhaust Problem??

cpk

Hi All,

I finally managed to find a car and I'm a happy bunny. 53 plate with black leather, sat nav, rear parking sensors and bluetooth. It needs some paintwork touching up but nothing serious and that was all factored in...

2iayezt.jpg

She has 4 good pilot sports, tidy interior and 43k.

Anyway.... One thing I noticed during test drive was a noisy exhaust, I thought this is noisier that the others I've driven but thought it was perhaps because the window was down etc. I wasn't overly bothered because I got a good price. But driving it today it is beginning to get on my nerves a bit (and I'm used to a prodrive exhaust on my old subaru).

Could it be due to a hole? It doesn't sound like it's blowing, but then I may be wrong? I wouldn't expect it to need a replacement after 43k?

Anyway....

Are there any mods the previous owner may have done to make the exhaust noisier? It looks to be completely standard but I wondered if he could have perhaps by-passed a valve that is supposed open over a certain rpm (I know you can do this on the BMW 330i to release a bit more noise). Any help is appreciated. It's a great car but just too noisy and I normally like noise!

Yep! It's split just before the mid-pipe flange

It's quite rusty so I doubt it can be welded - or can it?? I guess I could remove the flange and put a SS sleeve over them both?

If not I want to make the replacement as original as possible, after my Subaru's prodrive exhaust I want something a bit quieter. Are there any recommendations other than OEM? Is there a cheaper OEM equivalent?

Yep! It's split just before the mid-pipe flange

It's quite rusty so I doubt it can be welded - or can it?? I guess I could remove the flange and put a SS sleeve over them both?

If not I want to make the replacement as original as possible, after my Subaru's prodrive exhaust I want something a bit quieter. Are there any recommendations other than OEM? Is there a cheaper OEM equivalent?

Japspeed K2 :thumbs:

Speak to CS bud, i'm sure he will sort you out.

Is it the backbox pipe that's rusted? I've got a backbox on the garage that I'll sell cheap

I don't think so. From what I can remember there are the following pieces:

Back box > Small Pipe > Another pipe about 1m in from rear of car.

It's the connection between small pipe and the other pipe where the crack is. I think removing the flange and putting a stainless pipe over and welding would be a good option. Just to confirm - would it be a 2.5" SS pipe I need?