Tyres and Road Noise

M5Sime

Hi Guys,

I have not yet bought a zed, but looking for the right model. I commute alot and have heard the tyre noise can be quite intrusive with the rear hatch design.

Is it quieter with the luggage 'plate' thing in place ?

In terms of tyres on Rays (as larger rims and lower profile rubber all = more road noise), I usually prefer Michelin PS2 sports or ContiSport Contact3. I know/think the OE is Bridgestone?

I would assume the Rays alloys in the GT pack are pretty good Light and strong being forged. I actually really like the GT4 alloys (also forged Rays)..

Comments welcome

Cheers

Sime

Hi Guys,

I have not yet bought a zed, but looking for the right model. I commute alot and have heard the tyre noise can be quite intrusive with the rear hatch design.

Is it quieter with the luggage 'plate' thing in place ?

In terms of tyres on Rays (as larger rims and lower profile rubber all = more road noise), I usually prefer Michelin PS2 sports or ContiSport Contact3. I know/think the OE is Bridgestone?

I would assume the Rays alloys in the GT pack are pretty good Light and strong being forged. I actually really like the GT4 alloys (also forged Rays)..

Comments welcome

Cheers

Sime

I replaced the standard B'stones with Falken 452s and they are a helluva lot quieter. The cabin noise is now fine, even on a very long journey. Drives a lot better too, more grippy when cold.

If you look at cars <3 years old and the Rays are discoloured in patches or it looks like the coating is coming off they can be replaced with refurbed ones under warranty. >3 years and your on your own so check them out - it's a known problem with Rays I'm afraid. Though a refurb may not be too pricey anyway.

good luck with finding the right car.

I replaced the standard B'stones with Falken 452s and they are a helluva lot quieter. The cabin noise is now fine, even on a very long journey. Drives a lot better too, more grippy when cold.

If you look at cars <3 years old and the Rays are discoloured in patches or it looks like the coating is coming off they can be replaced with refurbed ones under warranty. >3 years and your on your own so check them out - it's a known problem with Rays I'm afraid. Though a refurb may not be too pricey anyway.

good luck with finding the right car.

In terms of tyres on Rays (as larger rims and lower profile rubber all = more road noise), I usually prefer Michelin PS2 sports

That's what I run, no real increase in terms of noise but far more grip and feel than the RE040/050s. :thumbs:

In terms of tyres on Rays (as larger rims and lower profile rubber all = more road noise), I usually prefer Michelin PS2 sports

That's what I run, no real increase in terms of noise but far more grip and feel than the RE040/050s. :thumbs:

+1 The PS2s are very good all round tyres :)

+1 The PS2s are very good all round tyres :)