Speeding...

manc350z

Well.. i am 2mths away from having a clean licence (first time in a lot of years) .. on my way to work a few weeks or so back .. and ... blammo..

39 in a 30 by a road safety van.. HOW THE FFF DID I NOT SEE THE VAN..... Yep.. i was bang to rights.. no defence.. no excuses.. i was basically being a c0ck.. speeding on a failrly main road, nothing about apart from me and that strange looking vw van with an open back window.. i did think how odd, a van with an open window and a shiny thing sticking out of it.. C0CK !

Well i receive the normal "was it you" letter.. i sent it back with a yep.. it was me.. and waited for my request to send back the licence to be endorsed.. instead i got a letter offering me to attend a 60 quid 4 hour speed awareness course.. it says if i do i won't get the 3 points.

So i've booked myself on it.... to be honest i think it is better than an arbitary 3 points and 60 quid .. it may even slow me down.. i know i have been driving much better since i received the "was it you letter"... and i expected to have to go during work hours but no.. i can go at 5:30pm.. even better they have actually made it convenient..

So..

Anyone been on one of these and has it made a difference to the way you have driven since you attended.. I have attended police defensive driver trainining for 5 years up until about 6 years back and that did and still does make a difference to how i drive... so sort of hoping this might.. or is it 4hrs being told how naughty i've been by an advanced driving instructor ?? :disguise:

Believe it's like being told how to suck eggs, but better than 3 points IMO. It used to be £120. Guess everyone was going 'sod it, just give me the points and I can go the pub with £60 saved' :lol:

Mind you, dealing with the authorities can be sobering sometimes, like when I've had a cop car following me for a bit I drive much better even after he's gone. Stops you being complacent :)

I went to a NDIC- National Driver Improvement Course, which cost me £190 and the date was imposed on me, so I had to take time off work.

It was the aftermath of a car accident, even when all the insurance companys agreed it wasn't my fault.

I was accused of possibly driving without due care or attention.

It was either go on the course and avoid points and fine or not go on the course, go to court and see how it would go and then possibly pay a fine, court costs and get points on the license.

Anyways, I went on the course and it was actually quite good.

It was part classroom and part on the road.

On the road bit was fun actually, the instructor gave us challenges, like driving through a village with no stopping and only one gear change allowed.

Failure to comply would be punished by taking one item off my breakfast plate (yes the instructor bought me brekkie, lol)

The course basically taught me more road awareness (had to drive whilst giving spoken commentary on everything I was doing and what I saw),

taught me more about road positioning (position yourself in a manner that allows you the best view especially around corners),

taught me how to manipulate traffic by way of positioning of the vehicle on the road.

All in all I thought I took away some useful stuff.