Handbrake

T8 JPE

I changed my rear pads a while ago and since doing so the back brakes seem to have been binding slightly (catching noise). I thought this would stop once they were properly bedded in but its still happening. The front disks and pads were changed aswell.

Just to confirm it was the rear pads i jacked the car up and spun the front wheels around they spun 3 to 4 turns once i had pushed them with only the slightest sound of the pads catching. I did the same with the rears and they only managed half a turn so i have since come to the conclusion that it is the hand brake.

Ive taken the rear pads out and they were all fine.

How do i adjust the handbrake as it is a facelift model and the guides seem to be for the prefacelift interior and lifting the ashtray out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

I changed my rear pads a while ago and since doing so the back brakes seem to have been binding slightly (catching noise). I thought this would stop once they were properly bedded in but its still happening. The front disks and pads were changed aswell.

Just to confirm it was the rear pads i jacked the car up and spun the front wheels around they spun 3 to 4 turns once i had pushed them with only the slightest sound of the pads catching. I did the same with the rears and they only managed half a turn so i have since come to the conclusion that it is the hand brake.

Ive taken the rear pads out and they were all fine.

How do i adjust the handbrake as it is a facelift model and the guides seem to be for the prefacelift interior and lifting the ashtray out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

I was not aware that there is a difference to the handbrake set up between the two models, please correct me if I am wrong.

Firstly you will always get a bit of "drag" on the rears due to the driveshafts.

The best way to adjust the handbrake is to remove the ash tray and back of the nut on the cable, you will require a deep socket for this.

Then remove the rear wheels and the rubber plug in the disc/drum

Turn the disc/drum until you can see handbrake adjuster.

Flick the adjuster round one click at a time with a flat blade screwdriver until the disc/drum can not be turned.

Back off the adjuster until the drum is free to turn.

Now do the other side.

Finally adjust the cable from inside the ashtray.

Check that handbrake is not to tight and the disc/drum is free to turn.

Alex.