A couple of issues....

chrisjones6699

I bought my 04 350Z last Tuesday for 12k from a dealer. The Ad said it was an 06 model with 50k on the clock. the year difference hasn't bothered me but after i bought the 350, i noticed that it hasn't got 50k on the clock! it has 52k! would the extra 2k make any difference to the value or the amount i paid for it?

My second issue is that there is some rattling coming from the front of the car (engine, gearbox? not sure?), when at low revs in 2nd gear! My car will be going back in to have this checked out next week but wondering if anyone knows of any issues that this could be? I'd rather go to the dealer with knowledge of what it may be.

Cheers :D

2k difference wouldn't be seen in the price, but as martin said, I would check the service history to make sure it adds up.

Rattling in second gear doesn't sound good though. Is it only the second gear that does that? I'd be suspicious of that, could be something wrong with the gearbox? Make sure to get that checked, maybe with an alternative garage if the dealer does not play up? Your car should be in good condition when you buy, faulty gearbox is good reason to reject a car.

That's when its most prominent but its a general rattle when the engine is quiet. It has a year warranty so they should fix any of these issues....right? Also guys, just a general query, are the 350z's generally loud to drive? I don't mean engine noise (that's a beautiful sound), i mean road noise?

7k in 3 months! should that bother me? Am i being a little paranoid?

It does raise question marks, but it's not completely out of place - maybe the owner took a driving holiday in Europe or changed jobs to do 100 mile daily comutes? Can you get an idea who was the last owner and how likely that is? How long did the dealer had it for?

Oh man! i didn't want to hear that! the thing that i like about buying from the dealer is the year warranty, Tax, MOT etc but i do feel like somewhere along the lines, someone has taken the **** and screwed my Z!! the guy before me part exd it for a GTR.

Theres Bridgestone tyres on it.

Tell you what, if you still have the option to take the car back, then do so and buy done of the looked after ones that forum members are selling.

+1 it all just sounds a little fishy.

If I were you I'd take it back while (if) you still can. You'll feel a hell of a lot better when you are driving around in a car that you KNOW is fine.

That's the thing tho, how do you know if you're in a good car? you'll never know the history of the car or how it was driven? I was lucky enough to be given the old MOT certificate by accident and seen that it had done 7k in 3 months. My Z has a full service history, i have all the paper work on past work (i hope), it has a years warranty, tax for a year and its just had a new back box fitted.......this is a really hard decision! Now that i have a 350Z, i don't want to be with out one! :( Im taking it back to the dealer a week Tuesday to rise these "issues" and if im not satisfied with what they have to say, then it will be an easy decision to make. Would you agree that £11.995 is expensive for an 04 with "50k" on the clock from a dealer?

As a comparison, I bought my 04 GT with 39k on the clock for £10500, and apart from a minor dent in a wheelarch and minor scratches, it's fine.

The drivetrain and engine is in very good working order and hasn't skipped a beat since I bought it in January this year.

Previous owner even had the wheels refurbed a few months before the sale.

I know how it is to fall in love with a Zed, I did with the first one I saw, but luckily my mate was with me and I walked away from one at a Nissan dealer, which I travelled 130 miles to see btw.

You need to follow your head rather than your heart, you'll end up enjoying the car more as a result.

That must of been private though? Ive had a good search through autotrader and what i paid for my 04 is generally the sort of price they go at for trade. obviously trade will be more expensive than private but then with trade, you get the benefit of a warranty, service, tax and the guys at the Nissan dyed the leather black for me (strange i know, but i didnt like the orange :) The condition of the exterior is superb too, slight chips at the front but they also buffed them out. Rays alloys in good condition too (04 GT didnt come with rays, the previous owner bought them) so all in all, the price hasnt really bothered me, its the issues with the miles, the rattling coming from the (dare i say it) engine? and the "cheapy" disks and pads they put on my Z! these are my problems that i have to question when i go back to the garage in a weeks time! :S Im going to push for a 2 year warranty! that would keep me happy!

I know what you are saying, but i'm actually going to a dealers tomorrow to look at an 04 sunset zed. Ok it may have 70,000 on the clock but its less than 10k!!! At the end of the day if you're happy with the car, and you get good service from the dealer, then keep it and enjoy it. :thumbs: