200sx

phinnies1

Hi guys

I know this is the wrong place to post this query but a friend of mine has just bought a 200sx and has told me of a problem he has, I imagined there would be some ex 200 owners here or somebody who knows them well who may be able to answer the query. He has looked for a good 200 forum and he has come up empty handed. If you are unable to help then maybe somebody could direct me to someone who may know.

Here is his mail....

I live in Somerset and have recently purchased a 200sx s14 2001 (Y-reg). The vehicle has done 155k, is totally standard and is a manual.

The vehicle drives very nicely and on the whole I am very pleased with my purchase. The only major annoyance with the car, is the fact it makes a fairly loud clicking noise, upon taking up drive. This happens when going from stationary to moving, in either forward or reverse gear. The noise seems to be coming from the driveshaft area and is louder, the more aggressively drive is taken up. The best way to describe the noise is a 'clink', similar to the noise made by a fwd vehicle, when the CV joints are worn. I have checked the torque on the hub nuts and they are both fine. Also, I have stripped out, cleaned and lubed the rear brake assemblies. Had a Nissan technician look at the car, he suggested the possibility of a 'dry spline' on the drive shafts, but could not be sure.

I would be extremely grateful for any useful suggestions.

Many thanks,

Patrick.

I have also heard the noise, I would describe it almost as a popping, akin to what you get when you open a pressurised jam jar and the lid pops.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions guys

Regards Nick

I've still got my SX and had a similar issue with a clunk when taking up the drive a clicking sometimes when under load.

Mine turned out to be the CV joints on the driveshafts. The outer casing was slightly deformed so there was a slight bulge on each of the flat areas which allowed

too much play in the joint. I replaced them with some second hand spares from another member on the SXOC forum and all's well.

Here's a pic from another forum member who had the same issue but his was much worse than mine.

ThereasonmyDshaftwasaTadnoisy.jpg

Some of the other known issues causing the clunk on drive are play in the diff and failed rear subframe bushes.

Get him to stick a post up in the Technical S14 section on SXOC.com