Transporting Children in a Zed

Sylvester

Investigating transporting my 3 year old daughter in the Zed.

Obviously using front facing child seat.

Official advise is to avoid putting in fron seat if possible if active airbag but we have no choice.

Also advises find out how far the passenger airbag extends when deployed to check it wont hit child - anyone know ?

Anyone do it ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Buy a Tonneau Cover and convert the space behind the seats into a crib.

You guys are so helpful :lol: The concern I believe is that the airbag can break a young childs neck. So you need the seat as far back as possible,

not sure about how far out the airbag comes though. Sorry can't help anymore. :)

Well there is a warning sticker in the door shut on the passenger side that warns NOT to use a rear facing seat.

AFAIK according to the owners manual you should only use a forward facing one.

Personally a forward facing one is better anyway....what baby want's to stare at the roof liner the whole trip and be disoriented because they cannot see where they are going but feel the motion.

Well there is a warning sticker in the door shut on the passenger side that warns NOT to use a rear facing seat.

AFAIK according to the owners manual you should only use a forward facing one.

Personally a forward facing one is better anyway....what baby want's to stare at the roof liner the whole trip and be disoriented because they cannot see where they are going but feel the motion.

:doh:

Not sure if the airbag can be disabled at all. Might be worth a call to the dealers on this one. Certainly not something you want to risk! Would be good to know the answer though as it would be handy if I could ferry my two year old niece round sometimes. :thumbs:

Thanks for the 'constructive' comments....

Hve read manual but it is not exactly conclusive ..

'Nissan recommends that infants or small children be seated in the child restraint system.'

errrr what 'child restraint system' ? I think it should read 'a' rather than 'the' as it then goes on to say you should choose an appropriate one...

The Airbag can not be disabled without taking the car to Nissan and dealers often don't do it because it diables a safety device on the car and while you as the current owner/user might want it done then next person may not and they not know its been done etc... certainly Toyota would not disable Mrs Corrolla airbag.

All I need to do now is get some kind of anti child protection for the inside of the car.....

My understanding is also that it only applies to rear facing child seats so that they don't hit their face into the seat. I would imagine the airbag going off in an accident with the child facing the front would actually be beneficial. Putting a child in the front of the zed is no different to any other car so the same rules for all apply. This may help.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm#under3

interesting! So basically they are saying you can't put a kid under 12 in the front! I reckon this is a back covering exercise. Having said that, but would you risk it? I love the way they say THIS CAR HAS NO REAR SEATS I hadn't noticed.............