3 mobile broadband question

neo

thinking of getting a 3 mobile broadband dongle for my samsung NC10 Netbook,

my question is do i have to keep topping each month even if i don't use it, i'd only want to use it a few weeks per year but different months (hope that makes sense)

or is there a better option but would need good coverage over the UK ?

t-mobile looked like a good offer (£2 per day £7 per week etc) until i checked how bad the coverage was :(

thoughts ?

3 use the orange network so you will get the same coverage. If its anything like pay as you go mobile it won't last without topping up. Have you checked the FAQ's on their website? You can get a pay monthly mobile broadband now for about a tenner.

I used one on a regular basis last year, I was paying £15 payg for 2gb at the time I think (sounds like the allowance has gone up to 5gb now). You lose your allowance after the month as well - it doesn't carry forward. It's a pain in the ar*e remembering the day you added credit as well, you have to note it in a diary. Then you have to top up again online...I think they give you a couple of minutes access to the net to top up if you have no credit - again seems a bit old fashioned this day and age. I would much prefer say a SMS top up or voice automated top up.

I must say it was hit and miss, when it worked it was great, when it didn't it was awful- I was working in Derby at the time and some nights I couldn't get any reception at all - it was total pants. It's OK if your desperate but I wouldn't rely on it if you travel around due to the coverage issues.

Oh, and don't think your going to get anything near broadband speeds, I was getting 128kb sometimes, OK it's better than dialup but you get used to 8mb broadband at home and live on O2 3G seems soooo slow.

Not many other options out there really - I would suggest you borrow one first before you spend £££ on a dongle.

Or just to go McDonalds car parks - free wifi :lol::thumbs:

thx for all the replies, will investigate further :)

i'd go for a pay-as-you-go option anyways as i hate contracts.

zeddz, thx for posting the ebay listing, is there a catch tho, such as O2 banning the simcard if it gets too much use ?

• 2 weeks later...

just read on the box that i've got 3 months or 3gig of bandwidth which ever comes first, checked on the shops site and it should have been £49.95, guess i got a bargain then :blush: