Buying an Imported 'Z

perfecto

Hey guys,

Could somebody please explain the differences between the UK 350Z and an imported Fairlady ?

I'm looking to buy a 'Z soon and have seen hundreds of Fairlady's and very few UK models for sale, the Imports are cheaper which is why im considering one.

Also, what are the servicing/maintaining implications of buying an import ? The reason i ask this is i bought an imported impreza almost 10 years ago, when i wanted it serviced UK subaru dealers wouldnt even touch it.... In fact my local Subaru dealer demanded i remove it from the service area when i parked it to enquire !

Any info would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks

S

god that's harsh!

the differences are well documented on this forum if you do a search but basically its the same car, same servicing, same parts. The differences are in the different spec levels but a jap version ST is the same as a UK version GT. There are more variants in between on the jap car and some of the lower spec cars can still have nearly as much as the higher spec cars due to the amount of optional extras available.

There are a few little things that will always be different like square rear plate space in bumper, no headlight washers (thank god) and the light stalk and wiper stalk the other way around but that's really it.

Just go for the best you can afford for the money uk or import. Imports can be harder to insure although I haven't personally had a problem and use Bell insurance.

oh and :welcome:

No problems regarding sourcing parts, or servicing with a Jap import in my experience. Personally, i wouldnt touch any of my local Nissan Dealerships with regards to servicing anyway, but any independant garage worth its salt shouldnt have any problems :headhurt:

Nixys pretty much summed up the physical differences between UK and JDM cars and as Nixy says, insurance isnt a problem either. Some say imports are slightly more expensive to insure...i pay a little under £350 a year, fully comp with NCP with A-Plan :thumbs:

Just make sure you know what model the car is if youre looking at a JDM....lots are misadvertised as GT equivalent cars (JDM ST Spec) when they are not. If you need any clarification on any potential cars, just up the ad here on the forum and you will recieve plenty of help and advice :thumbs:

When I was looking to buy 2 1/2 years ago i went to a local Nissan dealership and their saleman told me that the UK cars were different underneath and that the Japanese cars were therfor less stable at high speed. He must have heard me laughing a good couple of miles away. :lol::lol::lol:

The things these people will say and do to try and get a sale and this was an authorised Nissan dealership!!

The chances of me letting someone like this service my car are ZERO!! I wouldn't evwn let him wash it!

Ming the Mad