Flywheel recommendations

mac1984

ZMANAlex is your man for a Fidanza Flywheel and a Exedy Clutch - Last check it was around the 700/8 mark, but Alex is sure to confirm.

I installed one a few weeks back - nice bit of kit.

Envy will also be able to sort you out a good setup from the likes of JWT who are well regarded amongst the zed community.

JWT and Fidanza are the same part (flywheel) ;)

I am personally partial to the 1 piece flywheels, since they can be resurfaced (no need to unbolt/retorque the friction plate) and they tend to be a bit quieter. We usually do the ACT ones and have supplied a bunch to members here.

ZMANAlex is your man for a Fidanza Flywheel and a Exedy Clutch - Last check it was around the 700/8 mark, but Alex is sure to confirm.

I installed one a few weeks back - nice bit of kit.

£595.00 delivered for Exedy Clutch Kit and Fidanza Fly (forum members only) :thumbs: but fresh out of stock and no wonder at those prices. Price increase imminent.

Alex.

Just seen the Nismo flywheel and clutch kit. What is this flywheel like? Is it steel or ally, looks on piece steel? Im abit worried about using an ally 2 piece flywheels due to the horror stories of the clutch noise and rattle etc?

Any advice would be great?

Thanks

Glen

Just seen the Nismo flywheel and clutch kit. What is this flywheel like? Is it steel or ally, looks on piece steel? Im abit worried about using an ally 2 piece flywheels due to the horror stories of the clutch noise and rattle etc?

Any advice would be great?

Thanks

Glen

For stock power best stick with Fidanza or Helix Fly and Exedy Clutch kit. :thumbs:

I'm selling an ACT prolite flywheel, if anyone is interested send me a pm. Bought it a while back but cant really justify the cost of a clutch and fitting at the moment. Its 2nd hand with 2000miles on it but is in perfect condition.

I'm selling an ACT prolite flywheel, if anyone is interested send me a pm. Bought it a while back but cant really justify the cost of a clutch and fitting at the moment. Its 2nd hand with 2000miles on it but is in perfect condition.

First dibs

You have pm

every single lightweight flywheel on the market makes noise - there is no way at all around it. The reason is because the stock unit is a dual mass type, as fitted most typically to trucks (lorries). There is no one making an aftermarket dual mass as its insanely expensive to do. The NISMO unit is a single mass, chromoly. Heaviest of the aftermarket ones out there. The ACT's are without question the best value out there - 2 different weights (street/pro) billet chromoly, and very affordable. These can be resurfaced just like any brake disk as well, which is nice down the road.

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?mode ... rodid=1973

The 2 piece units like JWT/Fidanza, and others work just fine - they tend to transmit a bit more noise as they are aluminum with a steel friction ring. Aluminum being not quite as dense as steel makes it resonate a bit more. When these flywheels wear, you must unbolt the friction ring, and replace it with a new one. This is the part I personally don't like, as I have seen these bolts come out prematurely and as a result, take out a full transmission (one time at Lime Rock, I saw a CRX hit the wall as a result...not good!) In the right hands they certainly work fine, it's just a bit more risky vs a one piece unit

I think I prefer the look/sound of the ACT flywheel (never been a fan of these dual mass flywheels, just something else to break and cost a fortune) not sure if I would get the Pro flywheel as it seems as if it would be too light for road use and would lose the driveability and flywheel effect of a heavier flywheel.

I got the ACT pro light flywheel and ACT 6 puck sprung hub clutch. Flywheel is quiet, and the clutch is tricky to get used to at first.

What is difficult about using this clutch?

Thanks

Glen

The clutch is trickier as it feels the car just wants to pull and pull. You can drive it like normal after getting used to it, but it is obvious to anyone trying to use the car that you have a sports clutch. Makes hill starts harder to. I will end up sticking FI on my car if I keep it long enough, so thought I should get a decent clutch for when I do. If I didn't plan to do this, I'd choose a clutch which is a bit more subtle. Adam will prob be able to put you in the right direction here.