"Zed" badge refurb...need help!

R800NER

As you can see in the photos below, the badges on the zed I bought were in bad condition around silver ring and need bringing back to normal before I get the car detailed, trying to get the car perfect for the Silverstone meet B)

I am hoping to take these off with the hairdryer and dental floss method, but want to make sure I have all the other bits I need to do it one saturday morning.

It looks like I can pop the middle Z with black emblem out of the ring, which means I can key the silver surface down.

What will I need from Halfrauds to primer it? and what colour would be best to match the 350z badge on the rear left of the car (or the Z in the emblem)? Any ideas?? Also, what's the best way of attaching them again? :blush:

photo431large.jpg

photo430large.jpg

Cheers guys

Firstly i would try and see if you could separate the black zed badge from the silver backing as it will be alot easier to work with. If not you will need to mask up pretty neatly.

I would then rub it down with some 1200 wet and dry, then use a light coat of halfords grey primer followed by either an alimunium or silver paint and laquer OR some ceramic chrome paint (i got some from b&q), you won't need to laquer the chrome paint but the finish might not be as durable.

Once dried re-attach it with some 3M double sided sticky pads..job done

R :)

Firstly i would try and see if you could separate the black zed badge from the silver backing as it will be alot easier to work with. If not you will need to mask up pretty neatly.

I would then rub it down with some 1200 wet and dry, then use a light coat of halfords grey primer followed by either an alimunium or silver paint and laquer OR some ceramic chrome paint (i got some from b&q), you won't need to laquer the chrome paint but the finish might not be as durable.

Thanks R, seems like a good guide. I will try it next weekend and let you know how I get along.... :surrender:

without laquer it will go the way of the dodo real quick.

all metallic paints need laquer.

Will halfrauds do both Gun metal coloured spray paint and laquer? Is the laquer spray on? or paint on..?

Will halfrauds do both Gun metal coloured spray paint and laquer? Is the laquer spray on? or paint on..?

best place for paints is www.paints4u.com

halfruads is ok,

i'd use a white plastic primer, silver/chrome paint and standard laquer. total cost about £20 if you include wet and dry paper

The chrome paint from b&q advised not to use laquer on it as it dulls the finish, but its probably not designed for outdoor use.

R

The chrome paint from b&q advised not to use laquer on it as it dulls the finish, but its probably not designed for outdoor use.

R

you might be right,

have a search on paints4u.com and see what they have. if you email them they are very helpful tell them what your trying to do, send them a picture and they'll probably recommend something for you.