Reg. Plate Fixings

WoREoD

My Z has the front numberplate attached by two screws, but the rear has no visible fixings so I'm presuming double sided tape.

As I've just acquired a new set of plates from FancyPlates I'd like to know:

If they did the rear by tape, why not the fronts?

Is the tape supplied with the plates by FP sufficient for the rears, and how many pieces should I use (They supplied two sets of four lengths)?

And is there anything else I should look out for when doing the swap?

Thanks,

I wondered if that was the reason for the screws at the front - much more likely to lift with a headwind!

Any tips on drilling the holes in my new plates. I plan on using the current plate as a template, drill a small hole with a HS bit and then work my way up through the sizes...

Thanks,

Just in case anyone's interested....

Removed plates. Rear had eight(!) pieces of fixing tape. I suspect that was because on delivery I complained that it wasn't on straight so they probably pulled it off, put four new pieces on and offered it up again! Front had two fixing screws near the top PLUS four pieces of tape.

When removing the front I noticed it hadn't been centred...

Discovered I needed to have the screw holes in a different place or the coloured caps would be over differeng colour on the plate. This also meant I could centre it correctly.

Removed all traces of tape adhesive. Didn't have a hair dryer (those of you who've met me will know why! B) ) but its pretty hot out there anyway. I used Meguiars Bug & Tar Remover to get the last traces off. Then polished round the rear plate area (but not where the tape was going to go).

Put tape on rear plate an offered up, trying to memorise distances all round. Then took backing tape off, offered up, paused and then pressed into place.

Drilled new holes in front plate to make sure caps would blend in with plate detail. Offered up and marked plate holder where holes needed to be. Murphy's law dictated that one was very close to one of the original holes but I took the chance and went for it. Used power driver to take self-tapping screws through for the first time.

Removed screws, fixed adhesive strips to sides and bottoms of plate, removed backing, started screws through the plate and then offered up and fixed.

Lastly, I'd noticed that one of the heads on the old screws had started to corrode, so put a tiny drop of engine oil in the new screw heads before closing the fixing cap.

All looks good. Took the opportunity to touch up a few front bumber paint chips, as well as the chips on onf omy Brembo calipers. Whoever said Halford's Gold was a good match for the Brembos need to visit my optician!!

Pic. attached should show the legend on my new plate (FancyPlates turned the Z into a logo!). It also shows one of my replaced RPA Sensors that has been painted as per the suppliers instructions - not quite as neat looking but hopefully the paint wont come off this time!)

Thanks for all the tips guys. Never did find the Dental Floss - must be with my false teeth somewhere....