Pioneer FH-P80BT final advice

Dex

I've changed my mind about the AVIC F700BT (see my previous post) after seeing it for $495 in the US and £615 in the uk. I'm resigned to the fact that here in the uk we have to pay over the odds for stuff so I think it's probably better (in my mind) to go cheaper and waste less money.

I have a 2004 350z with the GT Bose stereo and no sat nav. I want to replace the head unit but can't be bothered to go to the hassle of removing the Bose amp - it's too hard to get to.

So I've decided to go for the following and wanted to make sure I've got it all correct before purchasing:

Pioneer FH-P80BT double din head unit

Fascia - http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/ict/p~50-256.html?cat=0 - I'll have to trim the central plastic to fit a double din unit.

Cable loom - http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/ict/p~29-674.html?cat=0

Steering wheel controls - http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/ict/p~29-007.html?cat=0

Signal Booster - http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_prod ... tno=PC9460

I'll remove the dash as per http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/

The P80BT actually only needs a USB - ipod connector cable in order to control an ipod. I'd like to route this to my empty satnav cubby just above the stereo.

My questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone see any gotcha's or items I'm forgetting?

2. Is there anything else you need to do once you've removed the central dash in order to extract the Bose Head unit?

3. Do I need a PAC-ROEM-NIS2 or does the cable loom from sextons do the same job.

4. Where abouts in the car is the best place to put the signal booster? I'd like it to be hidden and don't really want to rip up more of the interior than I need.

5. What would anyone recommend for cutting a usb connector sized hole in the front dash cubby?

Once again, your help is much appreciate so thanks in advance!

hi mate,

I bought a pioneer fh-p80bt head unit about 2 months ago with the plan to fit it because my bose kept skipping but its now stopped so i still have it if your interested. Got the receipt for it. Only opened the box once!

You're on the right track. I installed that head unit into the same car a few weeks back. I wasn't very ICE-savy when doing mine but I managed it just fine. I didn't buy a signal booster so can't comment on that - its quite cramped back there but you should be able to push it into one of the side areas.

- You won't need a PAC-ROEM-NIS2

- If you want to feed the USB cable into the satnav cubby - as you say - you'll have to cut a hole into the plastic case. I didn't want to do that so I fed my USB and AUX cables into the armrest cubbie through the central bulkhead.

- Once you've removed the centre console, you detach the factory headunit from the back of the console, you'll see that once you've got the console out. Now by some bad luck either the Bose unit is too big or the Pioneer unit is too small. The fascia plastic Pioneer provides is fine if you install it with a cage - but without it you get supplied a thin piece of black plastic trim you are supposed to cut down to size. Mine didn't fit around the pioneer headunit snuggly, so didnt bother with it - I'm not sure what Pioneer are playing at, maybe I got given an incorrect piece of trim. Even using the fascia trim from Sextons leaves a considerble gap and I'm still not sure how to fill it.

- Lastly, the thing I got confused about was the steering wheel controls, you will see 3 cables (as shown here: http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u94/ ... n/Pic1.jpg in purple)

That will need to be spliced into the 3rd stalk - the pack contains a wiring guide of which cables to splice together, they recommend soldering, but that's highly impracticle while sitting in the car - so I just bound the wires together and put some heatshrink around them, electrical tape should suffice though.

i have the F500bt which i will be fitting into my cubby in the next couple of weeks, at the moment keeping the bose, but it should give me satnav as well as ipod connection. just waiting on a new dash cubby so i can fit it with the retractable lid.

will eventually swap out the bose for the 3100dvd from pioneer, but its all cash dependent.

Thanks guys,

S1 HNK - I'm interested so I'll PM you.

Danyboyj - that's awesome information thanks. It's really disappointing that using the fascia doesn't provide a close seal around the stereo - that might be a complete deal breaker for me (the mrs will moan if it's not perfect). Is there any way you could include a picture if it's not too much trouble? Maybe it would be possible to attach something to the inside of the fascia such as a rubber lining - this would then cover the gap.

I just spoke to a guy at car audio centre and he says the black trim that comes with the unit should suffice. You mentioned that it didn't fit snugly, could it be glued on (Nasty I know) or afixed on another way?

I've really got my heart set on this setup now but I don't think the mrs would like the gaps. Actually I don't think I can live with them either.

as you can see, the extra fascia deos a good job on the left and right sides, but the top and bottom are pretty naff.

If anyone has any suggestions for me they'd be greatly appreciated.

Mine does the same, there is a small gap at the bottom...not sure what to do about it either. :dry:

The pioneer facias that come with the unit are too wide for the hole, and if you trim them down it would look cr*p

R

well the salesman isn't going to talk bad about the product he sells :p

But in reality, Pioneer's plastic fascia is useless - the outer dimensions are massive, that's not a bad thing - but it does mean you need to be an expert to cut it without bodging it.

Then there's the inner dimensions which are too large for the head units outer lip and are too small for the total headunit's size. The only thing I can think of is calling a plastics company and giving them the dimensions of the plastic I need and have them mould it.

You're right about the salesman of course :lol:

I got the stuff today off of Si and spent this evening working out what to do about the gap. I've actually cut the pioneer plastic they included with the stereo into two strips the sit behind the fascia and efectively hide the screws into the cage. This leaves an even reflection and looks pretty good.

Your tips about the three wires from the steering controls look vital. Am I right in thinking that when you connected the three wires to those from the control loom that you removed the wires from the loom, connected and heat shrinked them and left them outside the plastic shroud?

Thanks again.

correct, "unclip" the white housing and then use something very thin to remove the pin from the stalk.

I removed some extra sheath from the ICT loom wires and then twisted it around the pin, then heatshrinked them in place.

Could you take a photo of what you've done with the plastic ? - I might have a try myself.

Ok - my original plan with the plastic turned out to not work as you don't install the cage with the stereo.

I did work out something with some good quality foam from some classy HTC phone packaging. Basically I cut a strip and super glued it to the bottom of the fascia. Not the classiest of fixes but it looks pretty good.

I've attached a pic.

I've wired up all my stereo but I've got nothing from the speakers - I'm going to start a fresh post as I must have done something wrong.

Do you retain ALL of the steering wheels controls? So for example, you can skip track and adjust volume on ipod function from steering wheel?

With an Alpine yes, not sure about the Kenwood......

Looks like it'll do the job nicely. You will need the iPod interface which is a separate item for about £70 IIRC.

so expensive for a cable, the pioneer equivialnt is half the price. hence why i'm going the pioneer route to match in with the pioneer sat nav i already have.

2 massive benefits though.......

1. The interface is brilliant and it stops you having dangerous moments trying to find a track you want.

2. It uses the Alpine software rather than the Apple software to play the music - you can hear it!

;)

Looks like it'll do the job nicely. You will need the iPod interface which is a separate item for about £70 IIRC.

For the Alpine HU I posted? In the specs it states:

Connection for iPod

# Connection Type: Full Speedâ„¢ Connection

# Connection: Full Speedâ„¢ Cable (KCE-433iV) Included

# Source Type: Dedicated iPod Source

For the Alpine HU I posted? In the specs it states:

Connection for iPod

# Connection Type: Full Speedâ„¢ Connection

# Connection: Full Speedâ„¢ Cable (KCE-433iV) Included

# Source Type: Dedicated iPod Source

Missed that, nice one :thumbs: