anyone Use an Emanage on their 350z?

jpaero

Not on the Zed, but I've used an EMB on previous cars with success. I quite like 'em, even if the tuning software is somewhat clunky and you have to have a really good match between the EMB firmware and the support tool else it won't read the maps. Hardware-wise I've had no issues with it at all, and there's certainly enough there to do what you need it to do unless you're having a custom built engine or something (but then if you were, you'd go full standalone not piggyback). The EMU Ultimate is by far the better option now though given the extra features, and it's certainly something I'd be considering were I in a position to do so.

I think most people with a Zed tend to run either a Haltech or a UTech as their choice of programmable widgets, I have no personal experience of these on the 350 though.

It'll give just as good gains, it's all tuner-dependant. Some are better than others, and if you can find a good one then you're laughing. All you're doing basically is balancing the AFR with the timing to produce the most power with the least knock, so it's quite possible to map a car yourself if you're confident to give it a go. I can happily play with maps to get to smooth them out a bit, but I could never map a car from nothing.

I already have a apexi safc in the car. Would this kind of be the same thing for the 350.

Gets you half way there from what I understand. It makes the AFR correct (or as close as possible) but thats where it stops. Piggyback ECUs allow you access to other things such as timing advance which get you more power. So short answer is it does some of it ;)

Personally I'd find a local reputable tuner and ask them what system they personally prefer using. It may be that the Haltech Platinum is a far more capable piece of kit than the EMB (actually, it is!) but if the tuner doesn't like it/hasn't got the equipment to access it, then it's pointless fitting one. If you know someone good who's familiar with the EM range, then I'd be tempted to stick with that. The only question mark I would have is whether there's a loom available for the EM for the Zed, as you don't really want top be hacking into the stock ECU loom unless it's a last resort.

I already have a apexi safc in the car. Would this kind of be the same thing for the 350.

Gets you half way there from what I understand. It makes the AFR correct (or as close as possible) but thats where it stops. Piggyback ECUs allow you access to other things such as timing advance which get you more power. So short answer is it does some of it ;)

Based on how the SAFC works it (unfortunately) also alters timing maps as well. Problem is, you have zero control over it (as you lean the car out, timing advances, as you richen it up, timing retards). Biggest issue is that since it has no drivers and is just manipulating maf voltage, you only have a very very small window for changes. Based on other alternatives out there, I'm personally not a fan. Especially considering that once you add in the various widgets to truly make it compete with the plug and play options, it really doesn't end up much less expensive either