painting the battery and brake fluid covers

elecious

Hi guys, one of my first mods will be to dress up the engine bay, starting with the two plastic covers.

To anyone else who has painted these what was your method? I tried last night on one of them using a spray can of plastic primer but the paint just runs down the sloped sides and leaves dribbles of paint rather than a smooth surface all round, im hoping that a few more layers of primer then a sanding down before the final color is applied will work out ok, am i right?

When painting anything, prep is the key.

Sand down the covers before painting, making sure the whole thing is sanded nicely, maybe using 600 grit paper...

Then wash the covers in water to make sure all dust is gone, and then dry thoroughly.

Next, spray maybe 3-4 coats of primer on them. Each coat should be very light, for the first 2 coats you probably wont even cover the whole thing...!

You should then allow the primer to dry overnight, before sanding it with 1200grit paper, and then doing the same with your colour of choice. NEVER spray on an area constantly to make sure it gets covered - just keep building the layers... :thumb:

thats where ive been going wrong then, ive been putting it on too thick, i was probably holding the can too close to the plastic too as the air from the nozzle would sometimes blow the paint away :lol:

sand it all smooth with a 1500 grade wet and dry, wipe down the surface with a degreaseing agent like meths or white spirits. leave to dry thoughouly.

then when spraying use a plastic primer, hold the can about 30 cm away from the unit, start moving and spraying just off from the item and move across slowly left to right. stopping spraying as you are off the other side of the item and on the paper. this stops dribbles from the nozzle landing on the paint. move down a bit and continue again with the same process. slowly working down the item still working left to right etc.

once first coat is on, it might not have full coverage of the item and could be patchy don't worry as you'll get it second time round. leave to dry for 1 hour then rub down gently with a 2500 grade wet and dry, and then repeat as above. you can easily put on 3 or 4 coats of primer. if they are nice and light they will dry quickly and be easy to sand between coats. and should leave a glass like finish if you use the wet and dry right.

i would then leave over night to fully harden before starting on the colour. and as before repeat as above with the colour. and then leave to harden over night. sand between each coat and you should still have a good glassy finish.

laquer is slightly harder, the process is roughly the same, but you need to move the can at just the right speed. to slow and you will get runs as it builds up to quickly. to fast and not enough will go down and it will leave an orange peel effect.

then i'd leave it a week to harden fully, preferably after 2 days stick it in your airing cupboard to harden.

as said before, slow and steady is the key, if you rush it it will look rubbish

hope that helps.

cheers for the tips, got my dad to do one at his factory today and he's followed your method and it's come out perfectly :)

but...

...is it possible to take the engine cover off so i can get my dad to paint it while i still use the car or is the engine cover needed when the car is being used?