rev limiter

jimmygs3

Hi ive a jap import that rev limits at bottom of redline ..about 6500 revs..used to drivind an s2000, Is this normal and if not can you increase it....

please advise...

also where can i get a set of brembos from.

cheers. jame s

Hi ive a jap import that rev limits at bottom of redline ..about 6500 revs..used to drivind an s2000, Is this normal and if not can you increase it....

please advise...

also where can i get a set of brembos from.

cheers. jame s

Thats normal mate! ( I Think) I think it is set to 6600 rpm, although the JDM has a top end limiter which prevents the car going over 112 mph which you may also need! :thumbs:

The V6 isnt ever gonna rev like your Honda did, not unless you spend about 15k on the engine. Over revving the engine wont produce any more power.

Really isnt needed on this engine as it develops about 80% more torque than a S2000.

The stock Track version (287HP) has the rev limiter sets at 6600rpm while the new 300HP engine has it set at 7000rpm...

It is not safe to rev the VQ higher than 7000rpm without any internal mods..

I swapped in nismo rod bolts and valve springs + spec1 cams + nismo vtcs in my 1st engine rebuild... and it could get up to 7300rpm without any problem... then I went on to my 2nd engine rebuild with Carrillo conrods and high compression pistons and though nismo valve springs could hold up to 8000rpm... I was wrong.... during the dyno tuning, I bent some exhaust valves at 7600rpm... so I needed to rebuild the heads again with Ferrea valvetrain kit... and now... going 8200rpm without a problem (normally just go up to 8000rpm due to the limitation of the nismo tacho)...

Stock rod bolts are not good for 7200rpm+, therefore if you want to rev beyond that, you got to change the rod bolts... and if you want to rev beyond 7500rpm, you gotta change the con-rods and balance the entire bottom end.. hope that helps!

cheers,

richie

the UTEC removes the rev limiter if you want it to.

Richie, quick Q about the "sports resetting" Nismo ECU? Sme dealer was selling it over here on its own, they never answered my questions about compatibility with UK Zeds etc, just wondering if you had more info on that ECU :)

Valerio:

Don't get that.....

Because there will be no Official Sports Resetting available outside japan unless they get the computer from a crash 350Z in Japan with the ECU fitted in...

Nismo Japan is very strict on their ECU policies to protect their names outside Japan... They would not even sell me their Nismo S1 computer when I got the S1 conversion done in Australia, hence the MoTeC M600... I had tried many connections that I have with Japan (even a friend of mine has a very close relationship with Nismo), the answers were all the same.... unless you ship your car to Japan, let us build the engine, then we will SELL you the ECU with the Carbon Fiber Engine Cover...

So don't get suck in by the S1/S2 or Sport Resetting Nismo ECU in the market...

Also the ECUs from Nismo are all tuned to suit higher octane fuels those are commonly available in Japan, ours Octan 98 or 100 are not suitable to run the computer unless they specifically tune to suit the fuel that we are using... so that means you might need another piggy back to tune the Nismo ECU... so it is a completely waste of time when I found out this...

cheers,

richie

This dealership are very close to Nismo Japan, as they were the only Dealers for the R34 GTR in the UK etc. so i presume they just managed to get hold of it. They tried to "crack" it to then be able to remap standard Zeds but they haven't managed in the end afaik. So they then got rid of the part, which is what they sell as a Sports resetting package :) it went on ebay for about £360 IIRC, was tempted but decided against it in the end :)