Best portable Sat Nav?

vestitas

Hi ,

I bought a TomTom GO700 [mid range] 18months ago....i have had no problems with it....

good features

-accurate

-holds signal well [my daily driver is a ford focus with heated front screen, wife has renault scenic with reflective screen and the unit has no problems with this

-bluetooth- my phone is connected, can read texts on the screen

-i bought the remote control as £20 option and it works well

-in-car charger and mains charger included

-got speed camera locations in it downloaded from supplier

not so good

-price [back then] - but new widescreen model just come out and can pick up older unit cheaply these days

-bulky- but big screen helps when driving

-the on-line support from TomTom is absolute pants- i had big problems when i tried to connect my phone via bluetooth- eventually found that tomtom was using old bluetooth 1 software/ firmware and once found upgraded download no probs!

i have seen a lot of units my friends have been using and when i'm ready for another i will be buying TomTom again.

hope this helps!

rajeev

I bought a Garmin C310 from Dixons for about £165 a couple of months back. Its a pretty good bet if you can pick it up at that price but the biggest downside is that it doesn't take postcodes. I only use it every now and again and for my purposes it's fine but it may cause more of a problem if you intend to use it regularly.

Having done my own research before I bought the consensus seem to be that TOM TOM are best if you can afford the extra. Incidentally TOM TOM ONE is only £219 at Dixons at the moment.

Hope this helps

I have a tomtom 300, which has been pretty good. I use it quite often with work and find it easy to use etc. and the post code search is very handy.

Only trouble with the portable sat nav systems is thieving mofos :angry: breaking in to your car. I always leave mine in the glove box as I cant be bothered to carry it around with me... I had my previous car broken into just because I had left the windscreen mount still attached... the tomtom was nicely locked away in the glove box, which they didnt manage to get.. but they stole the £30 screen mount... and caused several hundred £s worth of damage.. The coppers told me even if i had taken the screen mount of the windscreen, they would have still broken in, as they look for the marks left on the windscreen.. :angry:

I have both the garmin I3 and the TomTom 700 (the garmin is up for sale if you want a bargain!)

My views

both are excellent, the TT700 is superb for Europe but I prefer the I3 for day to day use.

The i3 is very tiny but much better suited to driving as it doesnt vibrate so much - also the roundabout navigation is far better on the i3 than on the TT system - it actually tells you when to exit, the tt just says take the 4th exit but this is often inaccurate I find

PM me if you fancy the i3, I want 90 quid for it - it is only a few months old but I needed the TT for my recent trip around europe