Question for the car detailers out there!!!

neil2185

Hello all,

Been wanting to give my car a really good clean for a while and been reading up on it and buying some products but really want some advice, this is the order I think I should be doing things

snowfoam

Wash and dry (can anyone suggest a good shampoo?)

Clay

Polish

Glaze

Wax or seal

I am worried about using polish as I dont want to risk damaging my car so I read that you can get a glaze with filler that just masks any minor swerl marks (which is all I have) that is all I want to do is mask them dont want to remove. So can anyone suggest a polish/glaze that would be best, this is the area I am most unsure on.

Then onto wax/seal from what I have read it seems that a seal may be better than a wax but some people use both again any advice or suggestions

The main thing is that I dont want to make things worse as I heard you can do that with some polishes etc

Also how often would you suggest doing this process and what would you do inbetween for just a mini clean?

Cheers

Neil

Foam

Wash

Clay

Wash

Dry

Polish

Seal

Wax

That's what I do if I'm using polish. If I do it's by machine.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish still gets spoken off highly and it'll fill the swirls it doesn't remove. Not sure easy Dodo Lime prime is to use by hand?? One of the pros might advise.

Shampoo, loads to choose from. I use big shampoos that only come is gallons! Duragloss is meant to be good, Dodo Born to be mild or meguirs Gold Class should be fine.

Foam

Wash

Clay

Wash

Dry

Polish

Seal

Wax

That's what I do if I'm using polish. If I do it's by machine.

Autoglym Super Resin Polish still gets spoken off highly and it'll fill the swirls it doesn't remove. Not sure easy Dodo Lime prime is to use by hand?? One of the pros might advise.

Shampoo, loads to choose from. I use big shampoos that only come is gallons! Duragloss is meant to be good, Dodo Born to be mild or meguirs Gold Class should be fine.

What do you use to seal it, Stew?

Only thing to note with AG SRP is that it does contain silicone. This isn't a problem in itself, unless you get to the point of needing / wanting paintwork done. It causes problems as the silicone gets into the paint. That said, I still use it at times, just don't let it dry on too much.

As for polishes, as long as you get one that isn't too abrasive, you shouldn't do any damage by hand. The order you have in your list is about right, but as Stew says, washing after claying is recommended. I actually wash each panel after claying it to prevent stuff drying on the paintwork. You will need the car very dry for polishing, it's a pain when you get water in the polish!!

I am using Chemical Guys SSR1 for minor swirls and then White Diamond Glaze before sealing. The sealant I use has been a bit of a revolution in the car detailing world - look up Chemical Guys jetSEAL 109. Amazing product IMO.

Wax is then a personal thing and down to how much you want to spend. Don't be fooled by 'spray waxes' in places like Halfords. If you want a proper wax, look at Polished Bliss or some of the other traders on here that sell it.

Final bit of advice, don't use a sponge! It has to be wash mitt and two buckets.... :)

Thanks for the advice, guys. I normally use Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo, two buckets and wash mitts (separate old one for the wheels), SRP (occasionally) and P21S or Dodo Juice wax. I am just about to try clay for the first time, and I thought i would go for the Meguiar's kit.

I am also wondering about using a cheap Halfords polisher I have had in the garage for years and which has never really been used. I know you will probably all say to get a Porter Cable and learn how to use it properly, but is it worth trying the cheap alternative? Or would it be just as well to polish and wax by hand?

Thanks for the advice, guys. I normally use Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo, two buckets and wash mitts (separate old one for the wheels), SRP (occasionally) and P21S or Dodo Juice wax. I am just about to try clay for the first time, and I thought i would go for the Meguiar's kit.

I am also wondering about using a cheap Halfords polisher I have had in the garage for years and which has never really been used. I know you will probably all say to get a Porter Cable and learn how to use it properly, but is it worth trying the cheap alternative? Or would it be just as well to polish and wax by hand?

The Bilt Hamber kit is pretty good value (Hard and soft for £20) and it uses water as lube. Might be worth looking into. There are maybe ones that perform better but I can't knock it and it's good value. (Thrifty Furrybootser!)

https://www.bilthamber.com/autoclay.html

As for the polisher, my mate uses one on his 98 Golf Turbo. It's red and looks amazingly shiney. There are maybe better things about but it might be worth a try. Find another car to try it out on if you are unsure....

For the polisher, a Halfords special would be good for applying glazes and waxes, but not a lot else. If you want a real polisher, try the Kestrel (matt@i4detailing sells it). I used it on my Zed with the starter pack and the difference is pretty astounding. Wax makes the flecks pop properly in the sun B)

For the polisher, a Halfords special would be good for applying glazes and waxes, but not a lot else. If you want a real polisher, try the Kestrel (matt@i4detailing sells it). I used it on my Zed with the starter pack and the difference is pretty astounding. Wax makes the flecks pop properly in the sun B)

I agree about the benefits of wax - even by hand, the P21S or the Dodo Juice really make a difference to the depth of shine.

Is it the Megs starter pack you use?