Rear strut in the boot (strengthening beam)

Jay

Hey guys and gals need a bit of help! I tried removing the rear aluminium part in the boot this morning but cant seem to get it to shift. I have popped all the surrounding plastic but it seems to be stuck, is there a bolt or something underneath it? Any help would be great as i am useless with these types of things :blush:

Cheers Jay :thumbs:

Do you mean the plastic bit of trim on the strut in the middle? Its just poppers I think that hold it in. Or there may be nothing holding it down. Just need to take of the plastic around it. Oh you do need to do the side bits that come up and aound from the boot floor though, they hold the side of it to the top of the strut. :)

Cheers for the reply chris. I am trying to remove the middle strut so i cant paint it! I have removed the side parts of the plastic but just cant move the middle aluminium part with the Z emblem. I was thinkin i may have to remove the underneath plastic to see if there is a bolt holding it!

Cheers for the reply chris. I am trying to remove the middle strut so i cant paint it! I have removed the side parts of the plastic but just cant move the middle aluminium part with the Z emblem. I was thinkin i may have to remove the underneath plastic to see if there is a bolt holding it!

Its not actually metal mate, its just plastic with a silver coating. What you need to do is remove the 2 pieces that are directly to the side of them (looking from above). These can be quite fiddly but you can pry them from the centre of the car back towards the respective side of the car and they will come out from under the other bits of trim that overlap. Sounds like you've done them already. Then you need to loosen the big bits to the back and front of it (if looking from behind the car into the boot). The bits that swoop from one side to the other from the boot floor up the strut to the other side of boot floor in one big piece. You only need to loosen these in the middle where the silver cover is. They are on several poppers so go careful or you might break them. Use a trim removal tool or at a push a screwdriver in by where the poppers are. Just make sure you dont snap the lugs. Then the silver bit should be good to just pull out, nothing holding it in from what I remember. :thumbs:

I had to do it when re-trimming mine in Alcantara ;)