Wheel Judder after fitting new wheels.

marzman

Hey...

Yesterday i refitted my summer wheels having taken them off in November, but they're juddering like mad at 80+ mph. I can feel it starting at 75, but by 80mph i have to lift off - otherwise the fillings in my teeth will fall out!

I got these wheels last august and drove with them for 3 months, but i never really got up to 80 on my daily commute, so never noticed the problem.

But this week i've been going to the hospital to see my girlfriends mum every day and have been 'enjoying' the quiet motorways shall we say, and have had no problems at all. But after putting these wheels on yesterday, i literally cant go over about 85mph!!

So this morning i went down to my mate at the garage and they re-balanced the wheels and adjusted the alignment slightly, but it's still awful.

I've just read this thread below, and am also thinking spiggott rings, as i have no spacers, the wheels are balanced/aligned, the wheels/tyres are perfect, and i've seen other people with the same wheels as these. Does anyone know how/where i can get the right spiggott rings??

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... ght=judder

Has anyone got any other ideas??

Yup if they are perfectly balanced, then I would guess it something to do with spiggott rings. Either they are missing or you have them on when you dont need them. I made the mistake of one of my Rota rings being stuck to the hub when re-fitting my Rays and that caused judder. Also meant that when torquing them up, I had to keep redoing it. I'd whip the wheels off and see if any have spiggott rings :) Although I did feel it on my Rays at about 30MPH+ so started at a lot slower speeds

Yup if they are perfectly balanced, then I would guess it something to do with spiggott rings. Either they are missing or you have them on when you dont need them. I made the mistake of one of my Rota rings being stuck to the hub when re-fitting my Rays and that caused judder. Also meant that when torquing them up, I had to keep redoing it. I'd whip the wheels off and see if any have spiggott rings :)

... i dont think i have any. I dont remember putting them on when i first fitted the wheels last august, and i definitely didnt put any on yesterday.

Anyone know where to buy? Are they standard/generic?

Yup if they are perfectly balanced, then I would guess it something to do with spiggott rings. Either they are missing or you have them on when you dont need them. I made the mistake of one of my Rota rings being stuck to the hub when re-fitting my Rays and that caused judder. Also meant that when torquing them up, I had to keep redoing it. I'd whip the wheels off and see if any have spiggott rings :)

... i dont think i have any. I dont remember putting them on when i first fitted the wheels last august, and i definitely didnt put any on yesterday.

Anyone know where to buy? Are they standard/generic?

I beleive they are quite specific to the car/wheel. I guess there must be standard sizes for them though. Some of the traders should be able to help out with the specifics.

I can most probably get them for you but will need to know the center bore of your aftermarket wheels. If you take one off, it is usually stamped into the back of one of the spokes. You will be looking for a number, I would have thought around the low 70's. If you can find this out and let me know i can get some for you. If you can't, pm me the make and model of wheel and I should be able to find out for you and get you the required spiggott.

Another thought though is that you may have just lost some balancing weights off the wheel while they have been stored....or they were originally balanced incorrectly or on an uncalibrated machine.

You will be able to check if you need spiggots by either looking for the center bore measurement on the back of the wheel or when you offer the wheel up to the hub, you will be able to move it up and down on the hub...ie: there is a gap between the hub and the center bore of the wheel. The spiggots centralise the wheel on the hub and if it is even 1 or 2mm out, it will cause vibration.

Let me know :thumbs:

I had this exact problem with another car. You name it and i had it checked or replaced even suspension :scare:

It turned out that the spiggott rings i had fitted were not doing there job properly, the same symptons as you describe will wheel wobble. I said i would never buy a set of wheels that i needed to fit spiggot to ever again.

I had this exact problem with another car. You name it and i had it checked or replaced even suspension :scare:

It turned out that the spiggott rings i had fitted were not doing there job properly, the same symptons as you describe will wheel wobble. I said i would never buy a set of wheels that i needed to fit spiggot to ever again.

They are perfectly normal, most aftermarket wheels will use them. I think the only way they were not working properly is if they were the wrong size which is an easy mistake to make.

They are perfectly normal, most aftermarket wheels will use them. I think the only way they were not working properly is if they were the wrong size which is an easy mistake to make.

They fitted inside the wheels perfectly tight but they must of been a tiny bit out when the wheel was placed on the hub :headhurt:

WEll fitted my spigots yesterday, and its definately made a difference, much less noticable now.

I think the small amount of 'clickyness' i have left is going to be worn bush's or something at the front end.

So marz, id get some sorted if it was me mate.

WEll fitted my spigots yesterday, and its definately made a difference, much less noticable now.

I think the small amount of 'clickyness' i have left is going to be worn bush's or something at the front end.

So marz, id get some sorted if it was me mate.

Sweet, cheers bud... i was waiting for your results before i made a move...!

:thumbs:

Ok - Thanks Andy for sorting the spigot rings for me. :thumbs:

I fitted them on Saturday, and unfortunately my wheels are still wobbling very badly, albeit now at 90mph rather than 85! So there is a slight improvement!

Guess i'll just have to live with it then... but at least it'll keep me on the right side of the law ;)

No problem, shame they are still wobbling though. If the spiggotts have helped but it is still doing it, I would suggest that the wheels haven't been balanced properly or you have lost some balancing weights. I would get them checked, most places would only charge beer tokens for a simple re-balance.

Ok - Thanks Andy for sorting the spigot rings for me. :thumbs:

I fitted them on Saturday, and unfortunately my wheels are still wobbling very badly, albeit now at 90mph rather than 85! So there is a slight improvement!

Guess i'll just have to live with it then... but at least it'll keep me on the right side of the law ;)

This may sound stupid, given the investigation you have put in to this, but have you fitted the correct tyre size on your alloys mate?

I mention this because I bought a new set of 19" Alloys and was incorrectly advised re: tyre size. The result was that at the same speeds as you, the steering 'travelled' from side to side and the vibration was bad.

Changed to the corrrect tyre size to match the OEM RR after using a Tyre Size Calculator on the web, and everything is perfect!

Neil

No problem, shame they are still wobbling though. If the spiggotts have helped but it is still doing it, I would suggest that the wheels haven't been balanced properly or you have lost some balancing weights. I would get them checked, most places would only charge beer tokens for a simple re-balance.

Wheels should be balanced fine... they only did a few hundred miles after originally fitting them, then i had them re-balanced last week and it was just the same. Might try somewhere else ina couple of weeks.

Neil - yes mate - tyre sizes should be fine. I've got what everyone else has - 245/35/19 and 275/35/19.

Wheels should be balanced fine... they only did a few hundred miles after originally fitting them, then i had them re-balanced last week and it was just the same. Might try somewhere else ina couple of weeks.

Neil - yes mate - tyre sizes should be fine. I've got what everyone else has - 245/35/19 and 275/35/19.

If they have been re-balanced at the same place, it could be that their machine hasn't been calibrated properly....it's the only logical explanation unless you are looking at a buckled wheel but that would flag up even on an incorrectly calibrated machine.

Aside from that, I am stumped! Sorry mate!

If they have been re-balanced at the same place, it could be that their machine hasn't been calibrated properly....it's the only logical explanation unless you are looking at a buckled wheel but that would flag up even on an incorrectly calibrated machine.

Nope. 2 diferent places unfortunately... :dry:

I'll put it down to cheapo wheels :blush:

Nope. 2 diferent places unfortunately... :dry:

I'll put it down to cheapo wheels :blush:

Why dont you see if another member can pop along and both of you swap your wheels and find out how they compare.

You may find out if its a wheel problem or something to do with the car. :D

...its definitely the wheels. I run standard 17" JDM's in the winter and the car was fine... then i swapped to my 19" 'summer' rims and it started instantly. I think i started this thread that day...

Am going to call DPmotorsport where i got them from, or Wolfrace this week, as its too much of a problem, and they've not developed another fault (which i'll be starting a new thread on sooner or later :rant:)