Cams and headers

tmJak

I've been doing some research and have got to the point where I could do with running this past some knowledgable folk to make sure I'm understanding it right. I know that an upgrade like cams needs an ECU like Haltech.

If you fit cams to a Zed with a longer duration (like Tomei 268) with no other mods you will gain top end power, but lose some at lower revs. A set of headers, like Crawford, will help to scavenge some of the lost low end power. Is this about right?

I know other mods are recommended, but in theory could I just fit cams and have a tune without any other mods? If I lose some low end power, will this theoretically give me better mpg at low revs?

I have no plans set in place yet, but like the idea of improving power over time rather than just saving up and sticking twins on the car. I get twitchy and need to keep doing things :teeth:

Cams alone will not give much in terms of extra power and they certainly won't improve your fuel economy. What you are likely to find is due to the minimal increase they will give being at the upper end of the rev range, you will be reving it harder thereby using more fuel not less. Adam at Z1 is the guy to speak with about tuning NA engines, but essentially it's not cheap because you need to do the whole lot, heads, cams, headers, etc, to get any real benefits.

I'm gonna be getting an ECU soon anyway. My bolt ons will give minimal gains, but for around 1k I could fit cams. Is it not worth it do you think? I'm not after massive improvements, just noticable ones that keep my interest.

I only meant with the fuel eceonomy in the lower rev range i.e around town. If there's less power in that rev range will I not use less fuel?

I run Tomie cams on Cosworth heads on my tt set up and have no complaints, great product.

There really will be no advantages improvement in your performance figures even with a Haltech on a na engine.

Putting it bluntly total waste of your hard earned on a na power unit so absolutely no point.

Have you costed this out. :scare::)

Alex.

I'm gonna be getting an ECU soon anyway. My bolt ons will give minimal gains, but for around 1k I could fit cams. Is it not worth it do you think? I'm not after massive improvements, just noticable ones that keep my interest.

I only meant with the fuel eceonomy in the lower rev range i.e around town. If there's less power in that rev range will I not use less fuel?

You will not get a Haltech and Tomei cams and a set of buckets and proper head gaskets and a remap etc.etc.etc. for £1000. unless you are proposing to do the work yourself. Sorry to burst your bubble mate but no point in this I am afraid.

Only very roughly costed it. Both routes are very expensive but I'm only at the research stage and it may be a year before I commit to anything. Just trying to get as well informed as I can.

Is an NA setup not preferable to FI if you want a reliable daily driver with modest power gains?

You will not get a Haltech and Tomei cams and a set of buckets and proper head gaskets and a remap etc.etc.etc. for £1000. unless you are proposing to do the work yourself. Sorry to burst your bubble mate but no point in this I am afraid.

The 1k was just rough cost of cams and fitting - cams £500 fitting for 10 hours work £500. Already will be getting an ECU and mapping, so price was just extra on top.

A lot of the american sites rave about cams and headers so it's good to hear that it's basically a waste of time, gives a different perspective from someone who's trusted in the local Zed community :thumbs:

The 1k was just rough cost of cams and fitting - cams £500 fitting for 10 hours work £500. Already will be getting an ECU and mapping, so price was just extra on top.

A lot of the american sites rave about cams and headers so it's good to hear that it's basically a waste of time, gives a different perspective from someone who's trusted in the local Zed community :thumbs:

My pleasure Chris, just don't want you wasting your money mate.

Please note my comments are purely based on my own personal experiences and some one may be along later with a different view but it is a lot of money for very little gain.

I just love your quote of 10 hrs labour, I can do this swop out with my eyes closed and even with my eyes open it would take much longer, try 3 times that and you are getting close. :lol:

Alex.

I just love your quote of 10 hrs labour, I can do this swop out with my eyes closed and even with my eyes open it would take much longer, try 3 times that and you are getting close. :lol:

Alex.

10 hours I could cope with, but 30! :headhurt: It's quicker to fit a TT kit!

My pleasure Chris, just don't want you wasting your money mate.

Please note my comments are purely based on my own personal experiences and some one may be along later with a different view but it is a lot of money for very little gain.

Alex.

30 hours to fit some camshafts?!?! :scare:

Does this include making them yourself with a nail file? :lol:

How come it takes that long?