replacing the bose head unit

hagar

now I know some people have thought about ripping out the entire bose solution and installing fresh.....

what I am wondering is this. If the bose system (thats the speakers) are powered from a bose amplifier and not the head unit itself, would it be possible to use a standard din unit with amp outputs and simply replace the head unit whilst retaining everything else?

i am actually very very happy with the sound in the system, just the head unit looks a bit poor really - it looks about 20 years old

so keeping the speakers in there, is it possible to simply replace the head unit? :D

Interesting... I'd like to know more too! I'm about to get mine booked in to get the squeeky driver seat, no left channel on CD playing and a service :wacko:

My warranty expires in November, so if my stereo keeps playing up or there is a better option, I'd like to hear about it! :thumbs:

the bose speakers are 2ohm ( most aftermarket ones are 4 ohm), your Bose amp would not be able to drive 4ohm speakers ..

Steve

true Steve, but wasn't the actual question whether it was possible to LEAVE the Bose amp driving the 2Ohm Bose speakers and ONLY change the head unit?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? :wacko:

the bose speakers are 2ohm ( most aftermarket ones are 4 ohm), your Bose amp would not be able to drive 4ohm speakers ..

Steve

true Steve, but wasn't the actual question whether it was possible to LEAVE the Bose amp driving the 2Ohm Bose speakers and ONLY change the head unit?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? :wacko:

A new headunit will send a signal to the blose amp and that will drive the speakers. :D

I can't remember much about this, but ohm is measure of resistance, yes?

So, maybe if you use the wrong combination of kit, it'll either be more quiet than you expected or more loud?

Assuming the above is correct (it probably isn't lol), then a normal (4 ohm) head unit could drive the 2 ohm bose speakers, but you may need a bigger amp.

This could of course be total bollocks, but I hope there is someone who knows more about electricity than I do in here :)

EDIT: I just realised that this is a discussion about replacing the headset and re-using the same amp... I'll get my coat :blush:

I can't remember much about this, but ohm is measure of resistance, yes?

So, maybe if you use the wrong combination of kit, it'll either be more quiet than you expected or more loud?

Assuming the above is correct (it probably isn't lol), then a normal (4 ohm) head unit could drive the 2 ohm bose speakers, but you may need a bigger amp.

This could of course be total bollocks, but I hope there is someone who knows more about electricity than I do in here :)

EDIT: I just realised that this is a discussion about replacing the headset and re-using the same amp... I'll get my coat :blush:

You will either damage the headunit or destroy the speakers if you tried this , a normal HU is lookikng for a 4 ohm load on its outputs, if you half that it wont be happy, and even if it does work the speakers would be getting double their expected load and probably pop

As for just replacing the headunit, not sure to be honest, i think the weak part of the bose system is the speakers( there made of paper ) and amp!

Steve