Camshaft Position Sensors and Nissan Dealer review

RB84

Hi all,

I have a 53 reg 350 and been having problems with a Malfunction Indicator light error since mid January. I've had some great help and advice from DiggZ and ZMANALEX throughout and have now got to the bottom of the problem via two Nissan dealers.

I read and cleared the error which seemed to solve the problem but only for a couple of days, after this point the problem would present itself every time the car was started up and driven even if the MI was reset. It located the error to P0340 which is the Camshaft Position Sensors. I assumed that it was one of the sensors that was starting to fail and got it booked in for a proper check and Diagnostics Check from Aldershot Nissan. They found the error related to the Bank One sensor and suggested it got replaced. They also noted that the harness was slightly loose and apparently tried to sort it by using a cable tie or similar...

Anyway this did nothing to help but gave me the confidence (after questioning the guys at Aldershot) to order the sensor and get the work done. KJM Nissan in Reading sounded a hell of a lot more helpful from the off and offered to do the work for a little less money, so it was booked in for today. Turned up at my allotted time and the car got taken in for the sensor to be replaced. I also passed them the notes from Aldershot to ensure they were up to date with what had been found previously. Short while later I was informed it wasn't the sensor that had a problem at all but just the harness being loose causing the problem. In the end the mechanic did change the sensor but also spent some time mending the harness with some liquid adhesive so that the sensor still works as necessary, can be taken out but also doesn't trip the error any more. They also left me with my older but still fully working sensor in a box.

Aldershot Nissan were crap all the way through with their staff being poor at communicating and generally unhelpful. They also seemed very happy for me to go along and spend the money for a new sensor which wouldn't have sorted the problem. Luckily KJM in Reading are an honest bunch and sorted the problem.

Sorry for the essay here but thought it might help someone in the future. Also I would strongly advise against getting any work done at Aldershot Nissan and would happily recommend KJM Nissan in Reading.

The error due to the loose harness also threw up the 'ESP off' light along with the 'skid' light and right before these were activated the engine would lose responsiveness and power for around two seconds.

Rich