Power steering leak and noise

tmJak

One of the belts at the front of my engine is making a high pitched squeeling noise, and I seem to have a leak of power steering fluid. The tank is now below minimum level. I've got my car booked into TDi North on Wednesday, which is around 20 miles from my house. Does anyone know (probably should just PM gixxer) if I will cause any damage driving 20 miles with low level of fluid?

Here's to hoping its not the pump that's gone. . . :headhurt:

you can buy some power steering fluid which seals leaks i had to buy some on my last car i think it was called scotts, they are normally on ebay as well

don't like the sounds of that, Like rad weld, only use in a dia emergency cos it bungs everything up

My level dropped and was a little noisy. I topped it up and it was fine. No leak, not sure what happened to the fluid though......

Hope it's not an expensive outing Chris!

The level keeps dropping, and I have a pool of liquid at the bottom of the engine bay. Hoping it's a cheap one as my Zed's been very expensive this Christmas!

Thanks for the replies everyone and I'll post up when I know what the problem is :thumbs:

It looks on first inspection that a jubilee clip has degraded some and is causing the power steering fluid to leak. I'm gonna get this sorted, and hopefully the pump is working fine, although it is making a bit of a strange noise. . . Will know for sure in a few weeks.

Only problem is that to access the jubilee clip the front bumper has to come off! Means a 2 minute job will actually take a couple of hours.

Fingers crossed Stew.

Does anyone know if the samco hoses include the power steering hoses?

Unfortunately they do not.

Pirtek will manufacture pressure hoses for you if required.

No it just seems a shame to have mechanics working on my car and not modding it at the same time.

Cheers again Alex :thumbs:

Fingers crossed Stew.

Does anyone know if the samco hoses include the power steering hoses?

Unfortunately they do not.

Pirtek will manufacture pressure hoses for you if required.

No it just seems a shame to have mechanics working on my car and not modding it at the same time.

Cheers again Alex :thumbs:

Ah! I get your drift now.

Okay.............

Pirtek will manufacture colour coded pressure hoses for you if required. :lol::lol::lol:

But remember nobody will know that they are there, except you :lol: