Alternator Whine due to SatNav

coup

I'm about to set off in the zed for a decent blast but am dreading using the 7" satnav I intsalled into the cubby hole a while ago. Works a treat but is ruined by annoying alternator whine over the (stock) stereo. I've given up trying to convince myself it's similar to supercharger whine :)

I presume the grounding is poor and thats leading to the problem but I don't know where to start to improve things.

The satnav is connected through the front cigarette lighter.

Any suggestions of where to start - perhaps a grounding kit?

Anyone else with the same problem and fixed it?

pictures always make a post better, relevant of not so heres a video playing through the satnav

3038223398_5c42535fa8_b.jpg

I'm about to set off in the zed for a decent blast but am dreading using the 7" satnav I intsalled into the cubby hole a while ago. Works a treat but is ruined by annoying alternator whine over the (stock) stereo. I've given up trying to convince myself it's similar to supercharger whine :)

I presume the grounding is poor and thats leading to the problem but I don't know where to start to improve things.

The satnav is connected through the front cigarette lighter.

Any suggestions of where to start - perhaps a grounding kit?

Anyone else with the same problem and fixed it?

pictures always make a post better, relevant of not so heres a video playing through the satnav

I had the same thing after getting a BlueTpooth fitted in aprevious car by Halfords. They'd grounded the BT into the speaker wires!! :surrender:

I've been googling about this, this morning and from what I can tell cigarette lighters are not a great place to get your power and I need to either change the ground for the cigarette lighter to the connection used by the stereo or not use the cigarette lighter at all and power it from the stereo's power feed. If that fails I'll try a surpressor. Prevention is better than cure..... I think?!