Strange one

Maccaman

Just went to pop out & had a unusual occurence on my Zed. On starting the car it just went to fire & then just missed catching. No problem I thought, turned the key & it was not firing, which had me worried. Popped the bonnet just to see if there was anything stupid I could see but as I guessed nothing obvious. In the end I just kept the key turned & it eventually just about caught (didn't think it was going to) & had to let it pick up itself as I felt touching the accelerator would have killed it.

Let it warm up before moving off & just went to the shop. Came out and it started like normal. Never done anything like this before and now I'm worried its the start of something, but hope it was just a strange one off. :headhurt:

Just went to pop out & had a unusual occurence on my Zed. On starting the car it just went to fire & then just missed catching. No problem I thought, turned the key & it was not firing, which had me worried. Popped the bonnet just to see if there was anything stupid I could see but as I guessed nothing obvious. In the end I just kept the key turned & it eventually just about caught (didn't think it was going to) & had to let it pick up itself as I felt touching the accelerator would have killed it.

Let it warm up before moving off & just went to the shop. Came out and it started like normal. Never done anything like this before and now I'm worried its the start of something, but hope it was just a strange one off. :headhurt:

did you see my post last week? Exactly the same thing happened to me! Now it's fine. Need to check my battery still.

Macca it sounds like it could be the Crank Position Sensor. Common problem, and a lot of the earlier models do it. There was a TSB out in the US for it.

Did give me the impression it was something like this (though had absolutely no clue what). Just taken it to the garage to have a Summit brace fitted & new pads and it started normally.

Macca it sounds like it could be the Crank Position Sensor. Common problem, and a lot of the earlier models do it. There was a TSB out in the US for it.

Did give me the impression it was something like this (though had absolutely no clue what). Just taken it to the garage to have a Summit brace fitted & new pads and it started normally.

If you have a nosey on my350z.com or 350z-tech.com you'll find oodles of threads about Crank Position Sensor.

Battery will normally give some warning if it was that. With the Crank Sensor, when you unlock and put the key in the ignition, it just doesn't "crank", give it 30 secs or so, and it usually does. I normally flick the alarm the second time I try. ;)

ps. With mine it wasn't the alarm that causes the problem as it did it the first time, the morning the alarm was due to go in, almost 5 years on, it does it occasionally, it is annoying but not keen to put Z anywhere near a dealer if I can help it.