Quick brake Q - copper grease

Kennydies

I am replacing my front brake pads tomorrow and have changed brakes before and read the guide on here.

What is the purpose of copper grease and where do you apply it?

While my front wheels are off, any good product to use to get them spotless before I respay where I scratched the inside of the lug nut taking my wheel off before??

What is the best colour match from halfords for my wheels? (standard wheel)

Going to halfords on the way home to buy what I need.

Copper grease is usually used for two purposes, one to stop stuff rusting and seizing up and secondly to stop stuff squealing.

Depending on what brake setup you have.

If its brembos just cover the rear of the pads and then put the antisqueal shim over the top of the copper. If its the JDM just the top and bottom lugs that clip into the spring clips.

Also would be worth while putting a bit on the threads of the wheel buts and on the hub, just make sure you dont get any on the braking surface of either the discs or pads.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16773

its prevent the grinding contact between the calliper and the brake pad. If not put on you'll get a squeal when the brake pedal is pressed.

make sure you copper grease the leading and trailing edges on the pads where they rub against the calliper. This is where the heat builds up and causes the pad to break down espcially on the rears. I guess over time the copper grease wears away and is more vulnerable on the inner sides.

I used some PlasticLube. It's better than coppergrease and the brake dust doesn't stick to it as much as copper grease. It's what Audi use on the R8's . You can get a tube of the stuff from a VW or Audi garage.

While my front wheels are off, any good product to use to get them spotless before I respay where I scratched the inside of the lug nut taking my wheel off before??

AutoGlym Super resin polish works a treat at taking brake dust etc off, and its cheap!

Cheers for your help guys, Brakes are in and am going to wait until tonight to bed them in.

Just a quick question.

When I had the wheel off and the pads out, the brake disk was loose. Just out of curiouslity to change the disk do you just remove the caliper and the disk slides off?

Sorry to but in... just a quickie but my car (since purchase a couple of months back) has always had squeeling brakes. Guy had only recently put new pads on when I got it...

Can I retrospectively add this copper grease and solve the problem, or will the brakes have been worn in incorrectly now and new pads required?

Sorry to the original poster for thread hijacking... just thought whilst on the subject :thumbs:

Sorry to but in... just a quickie but my car (since purchase a couple of months back) has always had squeeling brakes. Guy had only recently put new pads on when I got it...

Can I retrospectively add this copper grease and solve the problem, or will the brakes have been worn in incorrectly now and new pads required?

Sorry to the original poster for thread hijacking... just thought whilst on the subject :thumbs:

No issues at all with taking out the pads and placing copper grease on the back of them… :thumbs:

The only point I’d make is to make sure you place the same pad on the same side again… :)

Thanks guys... appreciate the advice.

I will head off and try and get some today. Will fade in to the background again now and let the original poster get back on with his topic :blush:

they also may have not bedded in the pads correctly. There is a procedure on here on how to do it.