MY05 or MY06 rev up model?

matth76

Hi

I've heard that the mark2 (296bhp engine "rev up") late 2005 and 2006 year 350z suffered higher than normal oil consumption but only in a few cars (although it is a known issue it is very rare apparently). Who here owns a mark2 350z - how often do you find you need to top your oil up? I'd consider a litre every 1000 miles (which I do every month) to be about the most I'd expect to top up by, ideally less. I'm used to checking oil on my current car (mark 3 golf vr6) and top that up about every 1000 miles. Are there any other sports cars that use high amounts of oil, such as the audi or bmw's?

I'm looking to buy a 350z and really like the front grill look of the mark2, with the updated interior and healthy 20hp increase - however it is down on torque slightly and the oil consumption issue bothers me. How does the 2006 model drive compared to the earlier 276bhp model? I drove an 05 model today and it was brilliant - excellent pull from any gear and the noise is amazing all from a stock exhaust. Just slightly to higher mileage for me so the search goes on. I've yet to find an 06 model to test drive. Possibly next weekend.

I can't quite afford the 18k to get the latest 309bhp model but I believe the interior is exactly the same as the 2006 model.

I know there are a few common issues related to the 02-05 350z, like electric windows and rear drive shaft clicking at low speed. Were these resolved in the 2006 model?

Thanks for any help and info.

I have a 296 bhp GT4. Used a little oil to 8000 miles when i changed over to Amsoil synthetic and it now uses non. :)

I have not driven the 276 bhp model but i doubt you would notice a difference, though the 296bhp engine does have a slightly deeper howl.

Thanks for your reply Beavis. Are the Brembo brakes the same size in all models?

Is the Amsoil synthetic fully synthetic? What oil did you use previously that wasn't as good? Does the 350 run on fully synthetic normally and what spec oil do you need to use - ie 10w 40 etc?

Any other comments welcome about the my06 model :)

Thanks again.

I run a rev up coupe and it has used approximately 0.5 of a litre of oil per 1000 miles from new and now at 27K, it is still using about the same amount. I have used Castol Edge, Castrol Magnatec and also the stuff that Nissan put in whatever that is, but is makes no difference to the consumption. Nissan have told me that up to 1 litre per 1000 miles is acceptable, so I just live with it. As for other cars, some RS4's and M3's (6 cylinder) also use a similar amount.

Is the Amsoil synthetic fully synthetic? What oil did you use previously that wasn't as good? Does the 350 run on fully synthetic normally and what spec oil do you need to use - ie 10w 40 etc?

Any other comments welcome about the my06 model :)

Thanks again.

Yes the Amsoil 5w-30 is fully synthetic.

The original oil was what ever nissan put in which iirc is a mineral oil.

This is what Autoexpress said when the 06 was introduced:

The first version of Nissan's 350Z proved to be simply incredible, and we were amazed by the special-edition GT4, which offered more power and eye-catching yellow paintwork. Now, the Japanese maker has gone a step further, with the launch of a revised 350Z for 2006. And while it's not yet available in yellow, you do get an extra 20bhp, bringing total output to 300bhp.

That's not all. The company has taken the opportunity to give its two-seater a quick cosmetic update, incorporating bi-xenon headlamps, a revised grille and bumper arrangement plus a pair of futuristic rear lamp clusters which each have 42 LEDs. Light show aside, the fresh 350Z is a definite case of blink and you'll miss it. And a good job, too - the car's handsome, muscular shape works so well that Nissan would have been crazy to mess with it.

Equally subtle, but no less welcome, are the revisions to the cabin. Some of the 'cheapo' switchgear that shamed the previous model has been replaced with more substantial items, and the centre console and dashboard have been retrimmed with higher-quality soft-touch materials. Now, the 350Z feels as well as looks the part.

Under the bonnet, the 3.5-litre V6 has new pistons, a revised intake system, electronic exhaust valve timing and a more aggressive camshaft that delivers peak power of 296bhp at 6,400rpm - that's 200rpm higher than before. In absolute terms, we are only talking about a 0.1-second cut in the 0-60mph sprint time - the coupe does it in 5.8 seconds; the roadster in 6.2. However, the sharper throttle response and voracious hunger for revs makes what was an already potent, enigmatic engine even more addictive to use.

The other important change is the addition of a speed-sensitive steering system. This helps take the effort out of parking manoeuvres, and adds weight at speed when it's needed most. Best of all, though, the 350Z retains that vital element of interactivity that marks it out as one of the most impressive sports cars ever produced.

Unfortunately, greatness comes at a price - in this case an extra £800, which brings the cost of the Coupe GT model driven here to £28,800.